Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will he wean?

Default Will he wean?

My DS is nearly 27 months. It looks like I may have to go on a business trip overseas (I am in South Africa) to London for 4 or 5 days. Will he wean while I am gone? He still drinks a bottle of bm during the day and would BF at night to sleep and during the night and first thing in the am. I do intend to leave a good store of frozen BM while I am gone, but if I am away from him for that long is it likely that he will wean. I really don't want that to happen and am so proud of the fact that we have gone so long. Advice and encouragement would really help.

TIA

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Default Re: Will he wean?

Oh Mama. You have done such a wonderful job! I hate to say this, but there is definitely a chance that your baby will wean while you are away. But there is also a great chance that he won't! Nurse him right before you leave, and talk up nursing as much as you can before your trip. "Mommy's going to be gone for a few days, but we will nurse as soon as Mommy gets back, right?" Maybe even have his caregivers read him books about nursing, and remind him that Mommy will be back soon and that Mommy will nurse him the minute she gets home. That may plant the seed in his mind that nursing hasn't ended just because you are gone for a bit. And even if he seems reluctant to nurse when you come home, just keep offering. If you are co-sleeping, that may do the trick, since a sleepy toddler may latch on for comfort whereas a wide-awake one might find other occupations more interesting. Good luck!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS is about 30 months, nurses 3 times a day, nursed once in the first 4-5 days after his little sister was born, and is back at it now.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Have you ever been away overnight before? My twins both went on a brief nursing strike the first time I was away. It was for an 11 day trip when they were 9 months old. I've been away several times since, and while the second time they again balked when I came home, we have had no difficulty at all getting going again with subsequent trips. They are now 31 months, and the last overnight was only a few weeks ago.

Make sure you pump regularly (whenever you would otherwise nurse) while away. Your toughest problem may be keeping it frozen on such a long flight home, but I'd bet your LO will be fine and anxious to nurse again.

Oh -- one trick that's helped me is to resume nursing while they are sleeping. I pick them up from their cribs and they go to it.... I know that sounds weird, but it seems like they nurse "reflexively" when they are so sleepy and don't have a chance to think, "Wait a minute. I'm mad at her for going away so I'm not going to nurse." At least that's how it felt when they did their nursing strikes. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much for the advice. I am still waiting to hear if I need to go or not - am hopeing it's no - but will have to go in the New year - so I guess I will just be delaying it. I have been away for 1 night and he was okay, although didn't sleep so good with Mamma away, but we got through it and he resumed nursing when I got home like nothing had happened. So, I guess fingers crossed that the same will happen this time.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg