Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to start beans?

Default when to start beans?

LO is 10 months and has a good pincer grasp and takes lots of finger foods. Since we are dairy-free for the time being, I want to introduce beans to get some more protein into him. I know he is probably getting enough protein from the BF, but since we are likely to be DF for quite awhile I want to get him used to beans sooner rather than later.

I would like to start black beans soon. How did any of you serve them? Do I have to peel each and every one before giving them as a finger food? Or mash them? How about garbanzo beans - I am afraid he could choke because of the size.

Default Re: when to start beans?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    LO is 10 months and has a good pincer grasp and takes lots of finger foods. Since we are dairy-free for the time being, I want to introduce beans to get some more protein into him. I know he is probably getting enough protein from the BF, but since we are likely to be DF for quite awhile I want to get him used to beans sooner rather than later.

I would like to start black beans soon. How did any of you serve them? Do I have to peel each and every one before giving them as a finger food? Or mash them? How about garbanzo beans - I am afraid he could choke because of the size.
    At about 10 months we gave DS plain whole beans to eat. We haven't had any problems. He seems to like chickpeas. We are considering also making a baby friendly bean dip to put on crackers.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

We started around 7 to 8 months with no problems. I fed him black beans whole but cut the pintos in half. He loves them! We just made sure that they were cooked really really well because if not they can be too hard to chew but also can cause much gas.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

We've done pinto, black and garbanzo since 8 months and he LOVES them. I make sure they are really soft and I let him have them whole. We are also big hummus eaters as is LO
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Beans were a huge hit for our dd. We started around 8 months as well. Just cooked them enough so they weren't too hard and cut in half the larger ones.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

We started beans between 9&10 months. No problems here.

Way too lazy for formula

DS eats all kinds of beans even Edamame steamed and removed from the pods, loves them all and no trouble, we use cloths so sometimes there's a little bean skin in the diapers but it all comes out in the wash

We've had Black Beans, Pinto beans, Lima Beans, Green beans, french beans, kidney beans, Edamame, I'm sure there are more.....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post

We have dones beans since about 9 months and chicken pieces since about 8 months. If the beans are soft you shouldnt worry about choking. We didnt do BLS, but DD has been eating chunks since about 7/8 months. We didnt wait on beans for any particular reason except we dont eat beans

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    We've had Black Beans, Pinto beans, Lima Beans, Green beans, french beans, kidney beans, Edamame, I'm sure there are more.....
    Wow, so many beans to try. Are all or any of them "interchangeable"? What I mean is, if you try one type, is your LO pretty sure to be good with all, or do you have to introduce .every. single. one. over 3-4 days? I sometimes wonder how we'll get around to it all, there are so many good foods.

We did beans at eight months. No problems with blank beans and her favorite, refried pintos, but edamame were a whole different story! We haven't tried them in a month or so because they gave her the runs.