Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ebf

Question Ebf

I love the poll about how long people have bf, but I have a question...what is the longest time it is ok to ebf? My ds would probably eat if I spoon fed him baby food, but when I did that around 6 mo he got really constipated then just started pushing it away (probably because he was so constipated) so I haven't offered since and he's now nearly 8 mo. He loves nursing and for the first time, so do I. ( I had problems with depressed feelings during let down for the longest time) So how long can I enjoy this until I have to start offering solids again?

Default Re: Ebf

Yoou can enjoy this for a LONG time! But as far as solids go, have his iron checked. I know a girl who was basically ebf for her first year and was SUPER healthy with a high iron level and everything. But they say that the iron reseves in the baby's body start to run down after 6 mos so its just good to keep track of that. Other than that, if he seems full and satisfied and isn't interested in solids, you're all good. Just keep making things available. He may go straight to finger foods like Cheerios just for fun (fine motor challenge). My daughter started solids just before turning 6 mos and wore it more than she ate it. She's two now and eats a lot of food... but she still nurses.

Wow, thank you. My son has two bottom teeth, so I bet Cheerios would be fun!

Yep, we did that too, and Zachary still is nursed for a good portion of his meals, around 40% or so I would guess...we have his iron levels looked at about every 4 months or so, and he's never had any issues with them, there are soo many iron fortified foods these days, even Cheerios is one...so we have never had a problem in that area!

Good for you to finially ENJOY nursing, sometimes its harder than it looks!

Jaz Trio-
    sure is!!! I had no idea it could be so hard! I thought it would just "happen naturally" and it did to a certain extent, but who knew all the problems that can occur...I'm just glad we're so happy now!!! God knew what He was doing that's for sure!