Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night weaning midnight cheerios aaugghhh

Default night weaning midnight cheerios aaugghhh

Hi- I have a 20 month old. For the past 11 days we have been working on nightweaning, because I really want more solid sleep and I also would love to go out after he's in bed w/out the guaranteed "I'm going to wake up looking for you for milk" 2 hrs after bedtime.

So far, pretty good- after about 6 days of being really miserable, he wakes up, sometime around 2:30/ 3:00, asks to nurse, protests a bit, and then moves on to a cheerios midnight snack.

The problem is that the snack volume seems to be going up rather than down, and he is staying up longer (over 2 hours)/ protesting going back to sleep more rather than less as the days go on. He fell to about the -5 range on the weight charts at about 9 months and has stayed there, so I'm reluctant to deny him food. I've been trying to tank him up on calories during the day, but he's a dedicated self-feeder so I don't have so much say in the matter.

Anyone have any suggestions or insights? We still nurse a couple times during the day, which I am very happy about. I have an older child who was more miserable when I nightweaned him but stopped waking up when there was no milk forthcoming.

Thanks,
    Susan

xposted in weaning forum

Default Re: night weaning midnight cheerios aaugghhh

Well Im lookin forward to seeing what people advise cause Im sure Im going to be in the same boat in a few months....dreading the night weaning. I'll be watching!!!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

we've been working on night weaning for about three weeks. I think we are pretty much done very bittersweet for me. (we used the Dr Jay Gordon method-link)
    My son is 21 months old. He still wakes up at night. We have been down to one nursing session for about a week now (maybe longer) and he still gets up 3-4 times. He did only get up once two nights ago, but he was back up 3-4 times last night.
    I'm not sure if you are married/with someone, but if so can they help out at night at all? My husband can get my son to sleep in no time in the middle of the night, where it would take an hour if i did it.
    Honestly, I would cut out the snack. the snack is probably giving him a boost of energy keeping him up. Not sure, but that would be my guess.
    Just like the weaning, he will probably be mad, but he will take to it in a few days I bet, or a week. Just like anything else, it takes time and getting used to the new change. Its a big step, night weaning. I've learned that now. Its something that he/we have depended on for 21 months and now its gone, so I had to find new ways of comforting him other than nursing.

Sorry this is kind of a rambling reply having just gone through this, I know its hard. But it does get easier each week. Check out the link above if you havent heard of it already. Modify it to suit your needs, whatever your sleeping situation is.

just know that he may not sleep any longer just because he is not nursing. I think that is a common misconception, i've learned that! He is getting better and better each night, I think he will be sleeping through the night in the next few months maybe sooner. But until then I get up with him, rub his back, shhhh him, lay next to him (i squeeze into his toddler bed) until he goes back to sleep.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks- I always get such great supportive advice on the LLL forums, it really helps.

I had thought about feeding him more dense calorie stuff at dinner, but I may have to switch our bedtime routine a bit- my baby tends to tag along through big brothers (5 yr old) bedtime routine and then wants to nurse and go to bed at the same time that his brother goes to sleep, except in our bed (LO gets to cosleep) The whole procedure is so cute and rediculous, my 20 month old is really into doing his own toothbrushing, pajamas, etc. while my 5 yr old tries to get everything done for him. Anyway, it means that his last meal of the day is dinner, which he doesn't eat very well on account of 4 people at the table is sooo exciting. He does nurse to sleep, but maybe I need to give him some cheese or something right before bed (and after toothbrushing?) I think I will try to cut out the snack. When I have worked up the nerve- he will be very unhappy.

He does drink water at night.

Thanks, Susan

cheese is probably a good idea! I cant remember where I read it, but i heard if you are ever where you cant brush your teeth, eat some cheese, it helps get rid of the sugars and stuff in your mouth. I cant remember exactly what i read, but I think cheese would be fine after teeth brushing. thats usually my sons snack before bed too.
    good luck momma!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

We went through the same thing when DS was about that age. He'd wake up at 1 or 2 am and was so hungry. He'd eat dinner leftovers, bananas, cereal, yogurt... usually more than he eats at a meal! We started giving him a snack right before bed, even though dinner and bedtime are close together, and he stopped waking up after about a week. I don't know if it was a growth spurt or related to the night weaning, but it didn't last too long. Good luck!

A substantial snack right before bed helped us with the night waking.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.