Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this OS/OALD?

Default Is this OS/OALD?

Hello ladies,

Lately I've had a REALLY fast flow whenever DD latches on...she always has to swallow (more like GULP) very quickly to keep up. She doesn't seem to mind this most of the time, but sometimes she has to pull off to rest and she either gets sprayed in the face or I get soaked because my milk just gushes out without anyone's help! When she gets full I still end up leaking a lot of milk, so I try to collect and store as much as possible. Does this mean I have oversupply/overactive letdown? If so, what can be done to help? I've heard of block feeding, but I'm not sure what it is...is it helpful for moms like me? I love having plenty of milk to store, but I really HATE leaking so much and I'm starting to feel sorry for DD...

Plus I have a hard time believing this is OS considering I struggled for about 5 weeks with a dwindling supply due to a lot of formula supplementation when I was having trouble BFing.

Here are some fast facts about DD:
    - DD is 7 weeks old
    - She nurses roughly 8 times a day, about every 3 hours
    - Except at night when she sleeps for a 5-8 hour stretch (and my sheets are constantly damp!)
    - Her schedule is roughly 5am, 7am, 9am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, 11pm

This is making laundry a ridiculously frequent chore...what should I do?!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Default Re: Is this OS/OALD?

I've never dealt with this myself, so I know other moms who have will chime in.
    I'm not sure if you've seen this link yet or not, but do the symptoms sound like what your DD is doing?
    it has some helpful tips, even some pictures on different positions to help deal with the OALD/OS.

heres is some info about block feeding too.
    kellymom.com says
    block feeding is nursing off the same side for a couple of feedings and then switching to the other side.

* Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    * Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    * If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    * In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
    not sure if that helps any, but that is what i found.
    oh, and something else too, i guess it pretty much says the same thing:

:
    Block Nursing
    If your baby seems to need to nurse all the time, has frequent watery or green stools, seems excessively gassy or pulls off at the beginning of feeds, has lots of audible gulps as if unable to keep up, or if you seem to leak large amounts of milk between feedings it could be that you have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. This is generally caused or aggravated by certain nursing habits or oversupply.

In a two to two and a half hour period try feeding your baby from only one breast no matter how many times he wants to feed. This will help ensure that he has totally emptied your breast and gotten the right amount of hind milk. This will help provide him with the same number of calories that he was getting with a smaller volume of food in his tummy and he may need to feed less often.

During this trial be sure your baby is gaining weight and has the correct number of wet diapers for his age. A Board Certified Lactation Consultant can help you verify if block nursing is right for your situation. See When to Seek Help from a Lactation Consultant for more information. To find a Lactation Consultant in your area you can contact www.ILCA.org. For more information on breastfeeding see www.lalecheleague.org and www.kellymom.com.
    I've done block feeding from day one, and I always wondered if that helped my supply so much from the beginning. While it took us 3 or so weeks before i felt comfortable with BF, i do think the block feeding was the way to go for us.
    good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Hi there!

Sounds like my situation exactly, only DD HATED it, so it turned feeding into a huge source of stress for us.

If it doesn't seem to bother your lo too much, maybe just try offering one breast per feeding to see if that helps. Similar to block feeding, but to do true blocks, you would pick a block of time (say three hours) and use only one breast for that block even if lo wanted to nurse more than once. Make sense?

I know the leaking is a PITA, but your supply isn't quite regulated yet. I would wait until 3 or 4 mos before you do anything that could drastically affect your supply. You could use wool breast pads (I love them), since they are super absorbent and help to prevent plugged ducts by keeping the breast nice and cozy.
    HTH
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post
    I've never dealt with this myself, so I know other moms who have will chime in.
    I'm not sure if you've seen this link yet or not, but do the symptoms sound like what your DD is doing?
    Yes! She always gulps at the beginning, makes clicking noises, is usually VERY gassy and clamps down on the nipple at times. Also this just became a problem when she was about 4 or 5 weeks old, and according to kellymom forceful let-down and oversupply generally starts between 3-6 weeks of age. Thanks for the link! I think I might try nursing her in the laying down position for the remainder of the day and then maybe Australian position at night. Will try block nursing too, if I can stand it (I'm still having some nipple soreness so at times I get anxious for her to switch sides). Does block nursing cause plugged ducts? Or will cold compresses help prevent plugged ducts on the side you're not nursing on?

jessruff, thanks for mentioning wool nursing pads...I might try those, too!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

We have always block-fed b/o OALD/OS, and I've only had one or two clogged ducts(when he was older) that I believe were caused more from stress. Block feeding will help her get the fatty hindmilk, which aids in digestion, so less gassiness. It will also eventually regulate your supply. Once the supply drops go an easier to manage amount, you can feed on one side per feeding, rather than going several hours.
    Another thing that helps with strong flow is to nurse reclined back or laying down so that gravity isn't adding more force...I think you already did mention that, but that really helped us.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

i would think you would want warm compresses instead of cold. The warm will help draw the milk out some too. If you can just pump enough to relieve the pressure on the other side, and then nurse on that side on the next session. Your body will adjust to this new supply/demand feeding schedule and soon you wont get that crazy engorgment on the other side.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!