Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: napping and nursing?

Default napping and nursing?

i need some ideas. I usually nurse my ds before naps and bed as part of our routine. How can i change it, i would like to start with his naps. I tried offering a sippy cup yesterday but it was no good. He just pushed it away and i gave up. If i just put him down he will cry. ok tia

Default Re: napping and nursing?

does he typically go down for a nap at the same time?
    Is there anything else you have tried?
    Oh, how old is he?
    You can try rocking him, dancing side to side, singing, laying down with him when he is just so tired he cant stand it...
    the first few times you try something, he will probably be mad, but you will be there comforting him. He is used to one thing, but if you find something that you like and think will be an easy transition for him, then stick with it and he will adjust.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

yes he is on a schedule, he is one yrs old. and the only thing i have tried so far is the sippy. But i think no matter what i do its gonna be a fight at first. just need someone else's experiences. thanks

I am in the same situation. My 13 month old doesn't want to wean. For 2 weeks he's only eating once a day but still eats 3 times a night. He won't nap or go to sleep without BF. I'm so ready to quit, mainly b/c I need to start on a new medicine & can't while BF. HELP me stop BF PLEASE !!!
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

Maybe you can start by having your dh lay down with them to get them to sleep at night? We started doing that a month or two ago and now my son goes to sleep with my dh every night without bf - and this was a kid who I thought would NEVER go to sleep without it. The bonus for me is he now pretty much sleeps mostly through the night without the boob (he usually wakes and nurses when dh gets up for work). Of course, I'm still bfing him when he naps so I'm no help there yet but I haven't really tried getting him to sleep any other way yet.

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

Oops sorry, I thought it hadn't gone through the first time, so I posted again... See other post!
    Last edited by @llli*purple.monkey; October 13th, 2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

I have a question - why do you feel like you need to change anything? I mean, do you want to stop nursing to sleep because you're fed up, it's time-consuming, etc? Or are you feeling pressure to make a change because people are telling you your LO 'should' be able to go to sleep without the breast?

The reason I'm asking is that nursing to sleep suited DS and me just fine, but everyone else seemed to have a problem with it and I felt like I was doing something wrong. I tried all kinds of things and nothing worked until he was ready. One day he just stopped falling asleep at the breast and we had to find another way to get him down. I think he was around 15 months. We worked out a new nap and bedtime routine, starting with nursing in a different room (to break the connection with nursing to sleep) then moving into the bedroom to read books and sing lullabies. Then Daddy would rub his back and sing until he fell asleep. I had to do it myself at naptimes, but DS adjusted pretty quickly.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

I basically started adding other sleep associations while slowly making it so that he associated nursing with sleep less and less. It was much easier to do this when he was on a fairly predictable schedule. Basically, I just started out by rocking him while nursing him to sleep, then I took to taking him off before he was completely asleep (but very close to being asleep) and sticking the paci in his mouth while continuing to rock, then taking him off while he was still mostly awake while I continued to rock...now all I have to do is rock!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

ok maybe i wasnt clear enough/. Ds goes to sleep on his own, i put him down awake but just sleepy. I want to wean him completely he is 12m and i am done! He has stopped nursing during the day so he nurses in the morning, before naps, and bed. So i figured naps was the next sessions to go. and was looking for alternative methods for getting him down while not nursing him. tia

Oh, well, once I created some distance between sleeping and nursing, I just eliminated one feeding at a time. I'm not sure there's much else to it, really. Just decide you're gonna do it then stick to your guns. My son's only a month older than yours and he's taken it really well (we're down to just the wake-up and bedtime feedings now). The LLL advocates a "don't offer, don't refuse" philosophy when weaning. Just stop offering. I found I had to refuse a couple times, but if he got upset about it I would let him nurse briefly.

ETA: Now all we do at naptime is snuggle a little while I rock him and sing to him. Once the short repertoire of songs is done, into the crib he goes...usually by then he's drowsy. If he's not, he protests just a little, but then grabs his blankie and settles down.
    Last edited by @llli*iryssa; October 14th, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa