Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help 2 week old won't latch on anymore

Default Need help 2 week old won't latch on anymore

My son is 15 days old, for the first week he latched on really well. Now I have to pump to give him breast milk and when I can't get enough pumped out fast enough and try formula he pukes it all up. Is there anything I can do to get him latching back on?

By the way he was taken by C-section 3 weeks early. Does that have any effect?

Default Re: Need help 2 week old won't latch on anymore

Can you tell us more, like do you use paci's or bottles?

We use both pacis (we use NAM) and bottles (we use Avent). He hasn't been circumsized (sp?) yet - that happens on the 18th so thats not a problem. We have to use bottles b/c I have to pump.
    Last edited by cottenctr; August 11th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.

call your local lll leader she can help beter than we can on line.
    Some babies have a hard time swiching between bottle and breast.
    They like to bottle because its easy and less work.
    you can do it heres a link to getting baby back to the breast..
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Andrea's idea above is wonderful. I think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better in person than anyone can over the computer. Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Dr. Jack Newman says regarding babies who have been having problems at the breast due to bottles: "You are using bottles more than occasionally. Even when the milk supply is well established, frequent bottles teach the baby a poor latch at a time when the baby expects rapid flow, even if you are giving the baby only breastmilk in the bottle. With slow flow, the baby may pull away from the breast, decreasing time at the breast even more, and decreasing breastmilk even more."

It's important that you get help now ... your little one is very young and it is a cruicial time for you to be building your milk supply and establishing your breastfeeding relationship.

There are a few options for alternative methods of feeding that don't involve bottles (some are a soft cup, dropper, spoon, syringe) ... you can find a list here as well as instructions on how to implement them:

Alternative Feeding Methods

If your baby is younger than 5-6 weeks old, it is really important to avoid using a bottle if possible for a couple of reasons:

Using a bottle instead of breastfeeding can interfere with mom's efforts to establish a good milk supply

Bottles increase your baby's risk of nipple confusion or flow preference (kellymom.com states: "With bottle feeding, the flow is instant and continuous. The baby is required to work very little. Once a baby has had a bottle, especially a lot of bottles, she may begin to prefer the ease of bottle-feeding over the work of breastfeeding. She may become frustrated at the breast after the first let-down occurs and the flow of milk begins to slow.")

If you do end up giving a bottle there are ways to help avoid nipple confusion. See:

I Need to Feed My Baby from a Bottle. Can You Help?
    Avoiding nipple confusion in babies who take both breast and bottle
    Avoiding Nipple Confusion by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I Got Him To Latch On Today!!! :d