Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast compression question

Question Breast compression question

Hi- well- I thought my little guy had nipple confusion, and then I thought it was OALD but after I met with a lactation consultant what we figured out was that little man wants the milk fast, fast fast- I used to have OALD, oversupply issues and I think he got used to it/and or he took the bottle and liked it. And now at almost 5 months my let down is sloww and my milk supply seems less. So now he fusses when he starts to suck and my letdown is too slow for him and he pushes on my boob hard to get it to flow faster- amazing how smart he is. Sometimes he pushes so hard he pops off and then gets really mad.
    I have been trying to compress my breast to help him, my question is the following: I compress when he has stopped swallowing and the flow is slow. When it starts up again do I keep the compression hold or do I let go? I'm still trying to perfect this. If anyone has any advice I would LOVE it
    Suzie

Default Re: Breast compression question

Dr. Jack Newman has great how-to instructions here:

Handout #15. Breast Compression. Revised January 2005
    Written by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

and even a video showing breast compression on his site here:

Breast Compression Video (there are 3 videos showing compression)

Here are part of the instructions:

* Watch for the baby's drinking (see videos at www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html), though there is no need to be obsessive about catching every suck. The baby gets substantial amounts of milk when he is drinking with an “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck.
    *When the baby is nibbling at the breast and no longer drinking with the “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck, compress the breast. Do not roll your fingers along the breast toward the baby, just squeeze. Not so hard that it hurts and try not to change the shape of the areola (the part of the breast near the baby’s mouth). With the compression, the baby should start drinking again with the “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck. Use compression while the baby is sucking but not drinking!
    Keep the pressure up until the baby no longer drinks even with the compression, and then release the pressure. Often the baby will stop sucking altogether when the pressure is released, but will start again shortly as milk starts to flow again. If the baby does not stop sucking with the release of pressure, wait a short time before compressing again.
    * The reason for releasing the pressure is to allow your hand to rest, and to allow milk to start flowing to the baby again. The baby, if he stops sucking when you release the pressure, will start again when he starts to taste milk.
    * When the baby starts sucking again, he may drink (“open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck). If not, compress again as above.
    Continue on the first side until the baby does not drink even with the compression. You should allow the baby to stay on the side for a short time longer, as you may occasionally get another letdown reflex (milk ejection reflex) and the baby will start drinking again, on his own. If the baby no longer drinks, however, allow him to come off or take him off the breast.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon