Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thanks again

Default Thanks again

I just wanted to say thanks again for your help a week or so ago - we are back on track after our latch-on problems. Turns out my daughter is a biter! No wonder my nipples hurt. After some excercises recommended by the lc everything seems to be going well! - Kristen

Default Re: Thanks again

So glad to hear you two are a happy nursing duo once again!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen
    I just wanted to say thanks again for your help a week or so ago - we are back on track after our latch-on problems. Turns out my daughter is a biter! No wonder my nipples hurt. After some excercises recommended by the lc everything seems to be going well! - Kristen
    What did your LC suggest??

She suggested using the nipple shield until my nipples felt better - I could hardly nurse at all after a couple weeks of biting! I only did this for a couple of days, though, because I've heard they can cause nipple confusion. She also suggested "suck training." Before I latched her on each time, I gently used the back of my index finger to rub her bottom lip and chin in a downward direction. No pressure - just touching it. This made her open her mouth wide and stick her tongue out. The problem was that when she was nursing, her tongue was not covering her gums on the bottom, so she was just biting the nipple. After touching her lip and chin a few times, she would finally stick her tongue out over her gums, then I'd latch her on. This worked really well actually, and only took a couple of days, doing it each time she fed, before each side. Afer about a week I stopped doing it all together, unless I feel her biting again. -Kristen