Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby at Work

Default Baby at Work

hi Everyone,
    I'm lucky enough to be able to bring my baby to work when I start in a couple weeks. I'm really worried that I will be able to pull this off. I work in a job that can be really busy at times and really slow at times. I am usually in front of a computer. My LO nurses every two hours and nurses to nap so it seems likes she's nursing constantly. I am trying to get her tto nurse in a sling b/c I've never been able to put her down for her naps when she falls asleep nursing. I also supplement her 2-3 times a day via SNS and pump afterwards. Is this impossible. I really want to take advantage of this opportunity. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Baby at Work

I brought both my girls to work with me for several months after they were born - 5 months for DD2. Here's what worked for me. I work at a computer most of the time, in a private office. So, I'd shut the door at nursing time and use a my breast friend pillow with nursing cover. I'd have all my work right around me too (so I wouldn't have to get up). That was for nursing part (and some napping). She started getting into a routine of taking a 3 hr nap in the late morning. So, I had a swing in my office (she never took to a pack and play). She'd nap in that and I'd get any up and down stuff done. Then nursing again, some afternoon floor play time with her (a bit later) and we'd leave around 3:30 or so. It was really, really tough at first until she got into her own little routine that I just worked around. Productivity was pretty low, but I was able to get my core things done. I only nursed though - no SNS or supplementation/pumping, so I can't help out with ideas there. Good luck

I tried this with DS when he was a couple months old. I didn't really work out for me. He was a pretty high needs baby, and even with a babysitter it was hard to actually get any work done. The only time I could actually work was while he was nursing (on a boppy in front of the computer like the previous poster). I ended up putting him in daycare fulltime, which turned out much better than I expected.

I think it's one of those things that's different for every kid. If you've got one of those kids that will entertain themself and sleep three hours at at time, it can work great. That wasn't the case with my little one.

I also agree with the previous poster. Do NOT expect to be at the same productivity level as before you had the baby with you. You'll only get frustrated. If you set your sights a little lower, it could work out great. I wish you the best and hope it works out better for you than it did for me!!!

i have been bringing dd to work with me since she was 3 months old... i work in an office, but it is at a dc so she is in the infant room but comes to me to nurse. it worked when she was smaller because she would just nurse. now, at 10 months, we have to nurse when it is quiet or in a private place, she is way to nosey! I have to say i really didn't/don't get too much done when she is with me, mostly because she is more important than work , so i'll pay more attention to her I would try it and see if it works for you, because if you don't at least try you may regret it later or it may make a dc choice a little easier...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Thanks for the scoop everyone. The nursing pillow is a great idea that may work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I think it's one of those things that's different for every kid. If you've got one of those kids that will entertain themself and sleep three hours at at time, it can work great. That wasn't the case with my little one.
    I only could bring DD1 in with me until she was 2 months b/c she was much higher needs than DD2 who came in with me until she was almost 5 months. But, you don't know until you try!

I don't know b/c this is my first baby, but I'm afraid she's a high needs baby. Yikes.

I can't believe you all can bring your babies to work! That is so cool! I am so jealous!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My dd is a year old and has come to work with me since 3mos old. She still naps on her boppy in my lap. I'm currently NAK over top of her sleepy self. I just make sure any work I need is within arm's reach before nap time. When she was younger, she would also sleep some in her swing in my office. I also have a saucer for her that has been worth it's weight in gold for keeping her occupied until she got mobile. I would consider my daughter high needs too, so don't worry. It's amazing how you can adjust to work with them/around them. Like pp said though, don't expect the same productivity and you will probably have to preplan a bit more, but it's all worth it.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...