Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I can't pump! Please help right away

Exclamation I can't pump! Please help right away

Monday I pumped 12 oz. Yesterday I pumped 7 oz. Today I can't pump at all. I started taking fenugreek yesterday, pumped extra at home last night, nursed my lo all night, ate oatmeal for breakfast, and am drinking organic Mother's Milk tea. What am I missing??? I REALLY want to make this work and I'm so sad and discouraged. Any ideas?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: I can't pump! Please help right away

I'm not sure of your situation, but first thing I would do is try to relax and not think about it for a few moments (impossible, I know...).
    The more stressed you are, the harder it can be to get a let down.

If I have a hard time getting let-down when pumping, I will try to compress as it's pumping and see if I can get any milk out. Sometimes that's all my body needs to start a let down and then start pumping.

Check your equipment on your pump. Make sure it's all attached properly and tightly. Switch your membranes, maybe. (not sure what pump you have)

Overall, don't panic. There are lots of pumping moms on here that have lots of good advice.

Look here for tips. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Maybe AF is coming? My supply decreased temporarily when she was on the way. Yes, make sure to check all your pump parts for damage.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I had the same issue, and noticed that my plug that switches my pump between single and double pump was loose, hooking that back up, helped me pump again, even though my supply is still very low! hopefully it's a loose connection CHECK IT ALL OVER CAREFULLY!

also - are you drinking water? that's a battle for me on some days, and i can really tell! man, i wish i could pump 7 oz, you go mama!!

Thanks guys for your quick responses! I think AF might be coming and I definitely haven't been drinking enough water. I need to keep on that. I just pumped about 8 oz. so I feel better. thanks for encouraging me not to stress!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Glad to hear things are improving. I found that listening to relaxing music on my ipod, looking at pictures of DD, and coming to these boards all helped me to relax at work during a pumping session.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09