Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sugar?

Default Sugar?

Hello all. Just a question. You know how all relatives are trying to be "helpful"? Well, my mom suggested we put "just a tad" of syrup or sugar on the end of the binky when he was really fussy before naps. It was actually done and then suggested. It would shut him right up and off to sleep he would go. I'm afraid this has helped lead to the reflux diagnosis and a dependancy on the sugar coated binky for naps. I have tried to completely get rid of the sugar but DS pitches a fit until you put it on there. It seems to increase in frequency though. Used to only take one dunk, now two or three, or more, depending on whose putting him to sleep. I was thinking about getting some baby food like blueberry buckle or the hawian mix, something like that to take the place of the sugar. I'm thinking that might be better for him. Just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. Thanks

Default Re: Sugar?

Yikes! Everything I have read says to NEVER put sugar, honey, or suryp on a paci. Does he have teeth? If so, this could be really contributing to decay. Would it be possible to dip the paci in breastmilk intestead? Breastmilk has a nice sweet taste. It would be FAR prefferable to sugar imo.

Ds has never taken a binky and I have always nursed him to sleep for naps. Will he nurse to sleep for a nap so you can avoid the paci for naps altogether for a while?

I would prefer he learn to nap on his own. I personally do not like being used as a binky. I have too much stuff to do. I don't mind the binky per sey because he only uses it to take naps. He's only 3mo. I try to keep in mind that these women in my life have raised many many children and we all grew up just fine. No one in my family has a food allergy or any allergy of any type. If we did, I'd be more careful. Even as a nurse, I believe research is good but you have to be careful in what you take to heart. However, to each his own. He does not have any teeth so tooth decay is not an issue at this point. I would prefer we not use the sugar on the end of the binky anymore just because he's getting older and he appears to like it a little much. That's why I was asking about the baby food. It's not like we coat the whole thing in it, just a little on the end. We have also placed a tiny bit of chocolate on his lips so he can lick it, my DH gave hm a taste of Heinz 57. My little boy is still alive to talk about it. He puckered pretty good. We do not do honey. I'm not looking for anaphylactic shock. He's not even getting enough to where I'm worried about digestion, it's just enough to taste. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say my way is better or anything like that. Again to each his own. This is just my way. I've had a time with my family as far as BF goes but I've stuck to my guns. Not only do I have the research to back it up as far as being better, but God made me this way. If it wasn't how it was supposed to be, my boobs wouldn't make milk right? Well,anyway, thanks for the input.

Obviously what you are doing has worked to help get your LO to sleep, but I would indeed worry about the habit that you are creating. Our tastes for foods really does start young and I'd be very concerned about helping such a young child get so hooked on sweets so early. The statistics on childhood diabetes and obesity are alarming and they are more than anecdotal. As for not worrying about tooth decay because your LO doesn't have teeth, you may want to think again on that. There is alot of discussion in the pediatric dental community that supports the idea that what happens to teeth really starts long before we can see them. That's why it's strongly encouraged to use an infant 'gum cleaner' - even a damp soft cloth on baby's gums a couple of times per day when they are even just a few months old.
    It's very hard to change patterns that are already somewhat established, but I would gently suggest that you might want to consider not increasing the sugar usage on the paci but perhaps starting to cut back on it and help your LO unlearn the dependancy. This obviously is not what you want to hear, and I'm sorry about that, but I'd hate for you to run into troubles down the road on this one - for you or your LO!! Please accept that this is all said with the best of intentions....
    -linda

I am worried about the habbit that we were creating, that is why I wrote for some input as far as trying something a little healthier ie.. baby food. All I can say at this point is thank you for the input recieved.

Good luck.....! The suggestion about breast milk really might be worth trying! If you are going to do baby food, I'd opt for something 'mid range' on the sweetness scale and then taper down to milk...not too over-ripe banana? But at 3months, you want to be very careful about introducing 'solids', so be sure it's just a thin coating if you really want to try that. Personally, I'd try the breastmilk idea!

Changing patterns can be tough, even at 3-4 months -- but it will be LOTS easier now than at 6 or 8 or 12 months.... calmly stick to your guns and your LO will get it....best wishes....
    -linda
    Last edited by jsmom; August 12th, 2006 at 05:08 PM.

I tried the BM idea and it did work. Yeah!!! All I did was manually express some milk into a container and dunk the binky. Took a few tries but he got it. Linda, thanks for your tact and again I appreciate the input.

That's great!! Go Momma!! So glad to hear..... hopefully this will help long-term and be a much better habit for your LO! Good for you for giving it a try and Feorsteorra, great suggestion!!
    -linda

That's awesome! So glad it worked.