Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overactive let-down

Default Re: overactive let-down

I'm confused as to why the doctor would prescribe medications for reflux when he ruled it out with the ultrasound?

What are you doing to help baby with what might be your overactive let-down? I posted to you in another thread and my suggestions were to pump your breasts until your milk let's down and then put baby to breast to see if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, it really doesn't sound like your baby is crying all that much...am I missing some information? Have you considered that perhaps your baby is just sensitive to the world outside the womb? Did the links I gave you above help you out at all?

Hi
    Thansk for the reply.
    i am not sure what the doctor thought but he just said we dono if its reflux through test,so try emdicationa nd se if it works.
    teh test ruled out any anatomical problem with his tummy muscle to close.
    i pumped twice yesterday but yestersay was his off day (snwoing here-rare-may be he doesnt like the weather)
    so i am gonna see how it works today.i am gonna pump some off before i feed him.
    i did rea dthe links you sent(thanks alot! ia m so happy to get all the help)
    ut i am still not sure if its reflux or not as the symptoms seem to overlap woth OALD and they are not constant.some stay and tehy show up again.
    i havent started using zantac for him as given by doctor as it sounds tsarnge to me to experiment on his body with this medication (i donno why doc said uuse this medicine first to see if symptoms relieve).
    more soon,
    thanks!

>When does his crying start and how long does
    it last for? he cries during second breat offering<

I was wondering if you had tried any of the suggestions in the articles about overactive let-down.
    It sounds as if you have a LOT of milk!
    Milk-storage capacity of breasts varies a great deal. Some of us are blessed with so much milk that we could nurse triplets!

Breasts only make more milk when milk is removed, so the trick is to slow down production. If there is less milk in your breasts, the let-down will not be as forceful.
    The most effective way to reduce your supply is to nurse only on ONE side per feeding. In fact, many mothers with this concern find that they need to keep using one breast for at least 4 hours before switching to the other one.
    This means that they allow the baby to nurse as often as he wants from the same breast. For example, noon to 4pm on left side, 4pm to 8pm on right side, and so on.
    If the *resting* breast becomes uncomfortable, pump or express JUST ENOUGH milk to relieve the discomfort. If you pump too much, you wil defeat the purpose of this exercise. <G>

This usually slows down the production AND the forceful let-down.
    However, if you have not seen any positive changes after a week, it may be time to increase the length of time between changing breasts to 6 hours. In fact, some mothers have even reported needing 8 or more hours between changing sides in order to get their supply down to where the baby is comfortable. Be sure to allow AT LEAST A WEEK at each level to allow enough time for your breasts to adjust.

Please keep in touch and let us know how this works for you.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Lightbulb Re: overactive let-down

I am so greatful to read Carols answer>
    I am a new mom and Im saddened by the diagnosis GERD that my new baby girl was given just this week at the third week MD visit. I was given zantac and it barely helped.
    The past three nights were nightmares. Ive never done this before so I was THRILLED when you listed the signs of Over active lactation because Ive had all of these.. (alot of fussiness when pulling off after the latch , crying, clicking noises, severe choking, gasping, then clamping on the breast, suddenly pushing away, kicking away, sudden vomitting with at least two episodes a night one at each feeding... I can go on and on) Its been REALLY SCARY.
    I live in a big city with alot of resources and I am lucky because Ive already had help for example on "day three" when I had engorgement. I went to see a lactation consultant in a drop in group. I later had called her on "week two" when the vomitting happened and she said maybe the baby had some acid reflux and I should try that upright position facing me...And she was actually correct. But then in "week three" it all got worse. I mean the baby did stop vomitting from the horizontal/transition cross cradle pose, but she was choking every minute when I fed her sitting up (which was really tough cuz the poor girl has ZERO neck control and I had to burp her non stop... To the credit of this Amazing Consultant (she has a PhD), she did say that I should attend a workshop in my neighborhood (but it started at 10am and I slept through it after no sleep that night) Most likely in person the consultant running the clinic would have suggested the same suggestions as Carol. You all are so wise. Its so great to get so much support.

Basically from reading the posting and going to the suggested links I got two things:

1) be in an UPHILL posture. So for the FIRST TIME SINCE MY BABY'S BIRTH !!!, I just fed her lying on my tummy, I was lying down on my back, propped up (like in a hospital bed) like the picture in the link ,and she DIDNT PULL OFF ONCE or GAG or cry or kick me or arch her back and make a funny face like a sour lemon. Or else frown so hard her brows furrowed. She just peacefully fed and the excess milk drained out her mouth. AND I didnt even have to BURP HER ( usually she makes these HUGE burps, so many that Im walking all over my apt. with her on my shoulder for twenty minutes)

2) express some of the milk when you feel it let down. Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard, ( major tension relief) I had NO idea how intense the flow was. I called in my husband and squirted him from two feet away. I kid you not... WHO KNEW? It was a fountain and I had five or more different sprays from one nipple. All joking aside, it is no wonder my poor baby was choking and gagging up and crying so much we got the $25 dollar Haberman bottle and I was about to give up and just pump the milk and bottle feed it to her, cuz he could feed her with the bottle without drama and she was taking it since "week two".

finally I realise one more point I learned

3) do the one breast for 4-6 hrs, then switch and pump the other only a bit to relieve pain

Anyway sorry to go on and on, but it is a relief. And I want to give credit to my pediatrician. She is one of the best in city and it is probably cautious to prescribe Zantac and say the baby had GERD even before running tests... It even helps a little, but the real issue is the baby gained her birth weight plus 2.5 lbs. Therefore, she may have the same SYMPTOMS as GERD but they most likely are caused by my abundantly painful and over the top milk let down.. And frankly until reading this thread and following your posting THIS EVENING and hearing of this common phenomena for the first time, I would have never gotten help with it. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Paolina