Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Production plunged

Default Production plunged

I have a 2 month old boy. He is a great eater, but he has a little mouth abnormality, missing lingual frenulum which has the effects of a tongue tie, but can't be corrected. Lactation consultant said he can suck, but can't stick his tongue out to massage the areola, and that I might have to pump exclusively or supplement. Luckily, he is a very strong sucker, so even though it took us a bit to get used to each other, he has been breastfed without need for formula supplementation, and has gained like a champ. 12 lbs 13 oz on 2 month checkup (from 9 lbs 1 oz at birth)

In fact, for a while I thought I had oversupply issues. I pumped once a day to let Daddy give him a bottle in the evening and to store up frozen milk for when I go back to work. I normally got 10-12 oz/session of 10-15 miutes. Because my breasts were swollen and I was worried about overactive letdown, I started block feeding- one breast for 4-5 hour periods. He seemed satisfied with that.

And now I think I overdid it! My morning pump sessions plunged from 10-12 oz to 3-4 oz per session this week, in just 6 days. Yikes! I am worried that the supply will continue to decrease. For now I think I have enough when he breastfeeds, but how do I stop it from keeping to go down? Pump more frequently?

I know some normalization of supply is normal, but this rapid decrease really makes me nervous. How can I know it is only the excess pumping that went down and that he will still get enough? I am extra paranoid because of the LC's prediction that he may not be able to breastfeed at all....Help!

Default Re: Production plunged

I would keep an eye on his diapers to know if he is getting enough. I am not sure, but 10-12 oz. in one pumping session sounds like a lot and 3-4 oz. is what a typical bf baby would take at a feed so sounds like a reasonable pumping session. I know it is different for you though. I hope someone who has had a similar experience can come along and give you some better info...
    2001 2004 2008

Default Re: Production plunged

have you seeen this resource? if not it might offer something useful
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.