Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about fenugreek...

Default Questions about fenugreek...

I went to GNC today and bought a bottle of fenugreek. I don't really think I have any supply issues, but I would like to start pumping in between feedings and I figured that it wouldn't hurt to at least try it out. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have taken this before...

How many capsules should I take and how many times per day? I got 610 mg capsules and I've done some research on the internet, but I keep getting differing opinions. I just figured that I would ask here and get a response from someone who has taken it before.

Should I take it with or without food or does it even matter? I didn't know if it would cause an upset stomach if it was taken without food.

Does it really make your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup??????????

Thanks in advance!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Default Re: Questions about fenugreek...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    How many capsules should I take and how many times per day? I got 610 mg capsules and I've done some research on the internet, but I keep getting differing opinions. I just figured that I would ask here and get a response from someone who has taken it before.

Should I take it with or without food or does it even matter? I didn't know if it would cause an upset stomach if it was taken without food.

I take about 3 caps 3x a day.

I doubt I take mine with food most of the time. it has never upset my stomach but I know that it has some people. I guess it just depends.

yes. That is actually how you know you have the right amount in your system, is when you start to smell. Awesome huh? And it can give you really stinky man-like BO too!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

How many capsules should I take and how many times per day? I got 610 mg capsules and I've done some research on the internet, but I keep getting differing opinions.

lots of great info here: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

I used to take 3 caps 3x/day, now I take 3/4 tsp seeds 3x day instead (SO much cheaper; I can get 8oz of seeds for $3.49 at the Indian grocery store). (Actually, you can also get the seeds online if you can't find them by you, like here http://www.nutsonline.com/seedsspice...FQoHswod8jbE6A).

I have taken it with & without; no stomach problems ever.

Yes, the maple smell is ever-present. My DH says he loves the smell.

Let us know how it works for you!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for the information! What do you do with the seeds? Do you just eat them whole? That's probably a really stupid question, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the information! What do you do with the seeds? Do you just eat them whole? That's probably a really stupid question, but I wasn't sure.
    One of my favorite teachers told me "the only stupid question is the one you never ask". So I'm always asking questions!

Yes, I eat the seeds whole. I experimented with powdered fenugreek, and with crushing the seeds, but the whole ones worked just as well and taste a whole lot better (to me). I actually carry a small bag of seeds in my purse so that I don't ever miss a dose. Most fenugreek pills are just ground fenugreek in a capsule, at many times the price of ground fenugreek, which I think is a bit of a ripoff!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Where can you find fenugreek seeds?

I take 4 pills 3x a day, but i still don't smell the maple smell, what's going on with me? i've had serious issues for months now though, with my supply being low, so i'm definitely not in the 'norm'.

my LC told me to up it to 4 pills 3x a day, never stomach issues, don't always take them with food, but it says you should drink a glass of water with them. i haven't always done that either.

You can get them at Indian grocery stores, (also probably at Whole Foods), and lots of places online (likehttp://www.nutsonline.com/seedsspice...FQoHswod8jbE6A).

My friend doesn't get the smell either - don't know why. Anyone else not get the maple smell? (They do work for her.)

I'm glad I found this post!
    I too have started fenugreek 2 capsules 3X/day for about a week now. I haven't discovered the maple syrup smell yet. Nor have I found any changes in my milk supply. Am I not taking enough? About how long does fenugreek take to work? Should fenugreek be taken with blessed thistle or is it pretty effective on it's own?

Hi,
    I have some powdered fenugreek but I'm not sure how to take it - whether I should add it to foods and also how much per day. Anyone know?
    BTW - I did buy 'Nursing Mom's Tea' by Yogi which contains fenugreek plus herbs. It tastes really nice and I seem to be getting plenty of milk (I'm back at work now and pumping).
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

I started on this herb with no real effect, but when I added blessed thistle I noticed a significant difference. Thought it might be good to know! (I also later added Goats Rue and saw another increase)