Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with a very distracted baby!

Default Help with a very distracted baby!

My son is 5 1/2 months old and in the past few weeks has become very distracted while nursing... not just pulling off to look the other direction (ouch!), but pinching the skin on the breast he is feeding on, or using his little arm to push away while feeding, and at times pulling the nipple tissue towards him as he sucks. The feedings have become shorter and less frequent too... which I think is a sign that he is more efficient at feeding and this whole distraction thing. The feedings that go well (i.e., are longer and where he seems focused) are the first one in the morning and the last one at night. He is not fussy otherwise and continues to gain weight. We haven't started him on any solids yet, but anticipate doing so at the end of the month after his 6 month b'day.

I will start to nurse him in a dark and quiet room today to see if that helps... does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Help with a very distracted baby!

I was going to suggest a nice, quiet room. They do tend to get more efficient and want to look around a bit so getting them to focus usually involves controlling the environment as much as you can.

The pushing away, could just be him testing what his arms can do. Perhaps a nursing necklace or something that he can play with while nursing will help save your nipple? HTH.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I can remember going through this stage with DD around that age. I sometimes had to try different rooms and different positions...criss cross on the floor, me on all fours straddling over her on the bed (this allowed her to squirm all over the place and still maintain a comfortable latch), with a favorite toy in her hand. And sometimes all of the above in one session...changing position/location every few minutes. It was frustrating and exhausting, but it was a rather short lived phase. Hang in there mama!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Don't yell at me ladies...

I'm a little old school, so when my kids go through this phase, I just stop the feeding session (if they're utterly distracted and torturing me) and put them down to play for a bit then reintroduce the breast after a while. I do the same thing for biting.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boyzplus1ontheway View Post
    Don't yell at me ladies...

I'm a little old school, so when my kids go through this phase, I just stop the feeding session (if they're utterly distracted and torturing me) and put them down to play for a bit then reintroduce the breast after a while. I do the same thing for biting.
    Just kidding.

No yelling, this is all about given your methods and the OP finding one that works for her.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

You could also try placing a light shawl over your head and your LO so he can't see out. He might be more apt to get down to business if there isn't much to look at!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Just thought I'd mention, as soon as I saw the title of your post, I said, "bet that baby's 5 months old!"

I remember that phase so well. And my LO didn't really grow out of it all the way. I love those nap nursings.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!