Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BreastFeeding While Laying Down?

Arrow BreastFeeding While Laying Down?

Is it ok to breast feed while im laying down on my side and my baby is laying down? Also do i still need to burp my baby after i breast feed?

Default Re: BreastFeeding While Laying Down?

Yes & yes. Side lying is actually a great way to nurse, especially when babies are young. If you can relax enough while doing it, you BOTH can get some rest.

About the burping issue, I'm not sure if it's something you NEED to do EVERY time (other mama's can probably chime in on this) but I would at least attempt. My daughter had a lot of gas problems, so I would burp her in the middle of a feeding and afterward.
    Stephanie -- Newly single Mama to Alaina Jane, a.k.a. Laineybug, born 8/9/07.

Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love - you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want. ~Marni Jackson

ya its definitely okay to nurse lying down.

heres a dr sears link
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T021200.asp

i have trouble doing it. but practice makes perfect im sure. i have a hard time because my LOs nose is pressed against my breast so he cant breathe well. but try it out, its comfortable (when i can get it to work) also my LO tend to not eat as well lying down, but that could be because im not good at it yet.

as far as burping your baby: how old is your LO? i have found now that my LO is a little older (13 weeks) he doesnt seem to need to be burped at every feeding
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Side laying is an awesome way to feed and get some extra rest! And yes, you still need to burp the baby!
    I'm Kelly
    Wifey to John
    Mommy to 4 Angels in Heaven
    Momma to Samantha Lynn, born Sept 7th, 9 lbs 14.5 oz 21 in
    Attached Parenting Momma
    ~Breastfeeding~
    ~Baby Wearing~
    ~Co-Sleeping~
    ~No Crying It Out~
    ~Cloth Diapering~
    ~No Epidural~

Birth: 9 lbs 14.5 oz, 4 days: 9 lbs 2 oz, 1 week: 9 lbs 6.6 oz, 2 weeks: 10 lbs 2 oz, 1 month: 12 lbs 1 oz

I breastfeed lying down for the first feed in the morning, and she loves it! I found I had a problem with the breathing too, but once she's on, after a few seconds (when she's established her usual rhythm) I just wriggle down a little bit so it makes a teeny bit more room for her nose. If I can't move down for whatever reason, I will support my boob with the hand of the uppermost arm. This makes it harder to get a good rest, but it works! I did used to lean back a little, but I found that this resulted in backache (ow). As I had a section and then a spinal headache, I breastfed lying down for the first five days, and it was such a relief. It also helps getting her down for a nap in the afternoon as well (she is a reluctant napper), because if she falls asleep in the bed, I just slink off and do my upstairs jobs so I can keep an eye on her, or sometimes I have a wee nap too!
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Laying down in bed nursing was the only way I could survive those early weeks. My daughter slept right next to me in bed, and I would nurse her right there. I never burped her. She would fall asleep once she was done, and then I'd go back to sleep as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baviqua View Post
    Laying down in bed nursing was the only way I could survive those early weeks. My daughter slept right next to me in bed, and I would nurse her right there. I never burped her. She would fall asleep once she was done, and then I'd go back to sleep as well.
    This was my experience as well. Some babies need burping every time, some don't. If you don't burp your baby and you notice discomfort you may need to keep burping him, but if you miss a burping and there are no ill effects you are probably fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Not recommending it, but just chiming in to say that it is true, some babies don't need it. I don't think I ever burped Em successfully. So I kinda gave up. And she was no worse for wear.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Side lying nursing is the best.. It take practice but onces you get it down it is so wonderful.. I didn't have to burp my Lo everytime I nursed her.. I am sure some kids need it but when she would fall alsleep after nursing her at night I would just leave her be and not wake her.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Sidelying is life- (and sleep-)saver. I found it took a LOT of practice and experimenting, and my technique has changed as baby got bigger and I got *ahem* smaller.

I never burped DS. My understanding is it's not necessary for breastfeeding babies. That might be one that depends on the baby again - some are gassier than others or something.