Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

Ok, so I got thrush when dd was two weeks old, then got mastitis when she was four weeks old. I just finished antibiotics and my case of thrush came back with a vengence, I know it is because of the anti biotics. Baby and I are back on thrush meds, but I was wondering if there is any way to help relieve the pain while I wait for the thrush meds to work? My right nipple is hurting so bad and is swollen all around the teat. Pumping is definately not more comfortable for me as it causes my nipples to bleed and is much more painful. I'm so frustrated!
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

Default Re: Thrush

Try icing your breasts just before and after feedings (or pumping). If you ice them right before, it will numb them a little bit so they don't hurt as much at initial latch-on. This helped me some when I had thrush. Just make sure you wrap the bag of ice in a towel so it doesn't get too cold for you. Also try to keep your nipples as dry as possible to prevent the yeast from getting worse.

You might also want to look into APNO...if there is a compounding pharmacy in your area they might be able to make it for you, but you'll need a prescription. I started using APNO after my thrush infection went away, and I still use it 3-4 times a day. It really helps with soreness around the nipple area.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Default Re: Thrush

What treatment are you using? I foung that gentian violet had an immediate soothing effect on my nipples, but you may not want to use it in combination with other treatments.

Also rinsing your nipples in half vinegar half water after nursing may help you feel relief sooner.

Good luck!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous