Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does Scalding make milk harder for my baby to digest?

Default Does Scalding make milk harder for my baby to digest?

Hi - in another post, someone left great information on the importance of lipase in the milk.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=59783

If my baby (2.5 months) drinks my milk within 24 hours, I can get by without scalding it. It tastes a little funny, but he still gulps it down.

I am wondering, if it is best to avoid scalding if possible? It is harder for my LO to digest if I scald and thus stop the lipase activity?

My LO has days were he seems to scream as if in pain for no reason - could it be that he is having trouble digesting this scalded milk?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Does Scalding make milk harder for my baby to digest?

Hi I would definitely not scald the milk if he will drink it, less work for you!
    I do not know if it would be harder to digest, I wouldn't think so since you are not altering or adding to what breastmilk is primarily made up of, but I can't say for sure.
    Perhaps you could do a few days without scalding to see if that makes a difference. Is your LO getting milk by bottle? That can often cause gas pains by itself no matter what is in it.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Default Re: Does Scalding make milk harder for my baby to digest?

Thanks again! My LO gets bottle 3 days a week when we have a nanny come in so that I can work from home. Other days he may get a bottle from Dad - otherwise it is just me. I am trying to write everything down to find a pattern. On the worst days he start wailing when he is sleeping - he never even opens his eyes, yet the tears stream out. Fortunately, we have only had two days like this.