Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing & Nighttime

Default Nursing & Nighttime

I have a 6 mo. old son. He normally eats every 4 hours during the day. He has gone for 7 hours at night without food. I think he can go longer. I want to feed him about 8pm and lay him down to sleep. In a perfect world he would sleep until 7 am and not need to wake up and eat. Right now, he goes down between 7 pm & 8. I feed him about midnight when he wakes up. I feed him again at 5 am when he wakes up. (He is almost 20 lb, so he is not underfed!)
    Does anyone have any suggestions to help me help him get through the night? He is my first and I am learning. I would appreciate your comments this is my first post.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Nursing & Nighttime

It sounds like you are doing a great job!! Congratulations for breastfeeding for 6 months!

I don't really have any advice for you as far as getting him to sleep through the night. IMO 6 months is a little young to expect him to go 11 hours without eating. Seven hours sounds like a great amount, though! He must be doing really well to give you that much sleep. At 6 months my daughter was still waking 3-4 times/night to eat! More or less depending on whether she was ill or teething.

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice for you, but I wanted to give you some words of encouragement and bump your post up in case anyone else had something to contribute.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with PP. DD is 14mos and still wakes 1-2x's a night to nurse. At 6mos there's lots going on...milestones, teeth, growth spurt, and it is not uncommon for increased night waking. It has sometimes been beneficial for me to dream feed DD just before I go to bed so that way there is a longer stretch of sleep for me until she wakes up again.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I agree with PP's. It is a lot to ask a LO to go more than even 5-6 hours without feeding. And just when you think you've got the schedule figured out, it changes. Expect more night wakings any time your LO is about to grow or reach developmental milestones. It's very normal, although not great for mama's sleep patterns.

Where does your LO sleep? I have found that my sleep doesn't feel too interrupted because my guy sleeps right next to me. When he wakes to eat, he doesn't wake all the way, and he's back to sleep quite quickly, and so am I. I just roll to the side, latch him on and go back to sleep.

My LO is 11 months. He wakes at around 11 or 12 sometime in the night, I think, and again in the early morning (5 or 6 maybe??). Can't be sure, I really do sleep through it.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Thank you for your posts. I guess that we are on the right track! You ladies who are at the year plus mark..... go girl. That's awesome.

I'm glad I saw this thread. It makes me feel a little better about nighttime feedings and nursing. My DS is 8 months old and we're co-sleeping. At his 6 month check-up, our doctor suggested that we cut out nighttime feedings when his teeth come in. His first teeth came in three weeks ago. Right now, he might eat 2 or 3 times a night....usually around 12 and 5:30 and sometimes in between. I'm concerned about his teeth and causing them damage by continuing the nighttime feedings. So, I'm so torn about co-sleeping because I feel like he might just be nursing at night because it's a learned behavior and he knows I'm right there next to him. I don't know what to do. Continue co-sleeping and nursing at night? Or stop co-sleeping and promote less nighttime feedings? I want to do what's best in the long-run for my DS, but I'm getting conflicting advice. Please help!

It won't damage your lo's teeth to nurse at night. Here's a link to explain why.

I wouldn't worry about colseeping and night nursing if it's working for you and baby. There are plenty of people out there who are going to tell you not to do it (including many misinformed doctors), but as long as you are doing it safely and it's not causing you problems then I say do it. At 8 mos your baby is still nursing at night because he still needs the extra calories and nutrients that it provides. And also because he likes to be comforted by his mama. You'll find that with teeth coming in, milestones to hit, illnesses to suffer through,etc you'll be grateful that you have the "magic power" to calm him right back to sleep. I know I was.

We coslept and nightnursed until dd was about 18 mos and her teeth are fine and she sleeps just fine in her own bed now that she's almost 25 mos (until early morning when she comes and climbs in with us, but that's fine with me cause I like to cuddle her).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous