Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 mo. old is nursing nightmare!

Default 3 mo. old is nursing nightmare!

Hi,

I am almost at the point of giving up breastfeeding. It is finally taking it's toll on me. My daughter is almost 4 months old and for the last month we have been having major nursing issues. She has always been an "active" nurser, but lately it's bordering on the ridiculous.

I suspected I had a supply issue. I have been exclusively breastfeeding since the beginning and my baby started sleeping through the night---giving up her nighttime feeding at around 7 wks. Therefore, I got to sleep more. Then she kept sleeping longer and longer at night. So, my period returned last month, much to my dismay. I researched all of this, by the way.

Anyway, my daughter is still eating every 2 hours all day, which is fine with me...but she began to be fussy at feeding times---pulling off after about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. I don't think it's reflux b/c she's fine initially. I guess when the flow slows she gets frustrated. I end up switching her back and forth between breasts the entire time just to keep her nursing. She also doesn't want to wait for the letdown so alot of times I'm forced to pump for the letdown before I start feeding her. But this isn't always possible. I'm starting to feel chained to my home!

I have been drinking plenty and even taking fenugreek and blessed thistle for the last 3 wks. or so. I also pump before I go to bed. I do not have time to pump during the day (because of her and her not napping) and am also afraid that if I do I won't have enough for the next feeding. I am only able to pump ~2 oz. or less each time.

The trouble here is...she won't take a supplemental bottle after most feedings (breast milk or formula). Is she not hungry? She sure acts like she wants to keep eating. She'll keep popping back on to suck a few times and then gets angry again. This is the same baby who had been taking a nighttime bottle from her dad at week #2 with no problem whatsoever.

I feel like no one is really helping me. I've been to my ped and have spoken to 2 different lactation consultants. Every nursing session is filled with dread on my part and I just want my baby to be satisfied! Now I even have to walk around and nurse her sometimes just to try and keep her going. It's killing my poor back!

I am at the end of my nursing rope. Please help if you can!

PS: I forgot to mention that she nurses great for the first 2 feedings of the day, or when she is sleepy...

Default Re: 3 mo. old is nursing nightmare!

I am going through the same thing and I know how frustrating it feels. See my post "short feedings, big burps, grumpy baby." I'm hoping it's just teething.

Hang in there. I have to remind myself daily that this is just temporary.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

I just read your thread---it does sound a lot like us! But my baby started this at 3 mos. and now she's almost 4 mos. and I don't think she's teething yet. But the whole straightening out the back and legs when I try to burp her sounds identical. I am convinced I have a supply issue, but I've never done the weights at home to find out how much she's actually getting at each feeding. What did your LC tell you?

I am absolutely spent! I just want to see her pull off and be satisfied more than once or twice/day! BTW...how did you know you were having foremilk/hindmilk issues??

Mine will pull off and then get back on and suck 4 or 5 times and pull back off and fuss...

This happened with my first baby and I gave up after 5 months and then wish I wouldn't have. I just didn't have any help and didn't know about this site. If you can't get baby to eat pump so that your milk doesn't suffer. Its a slippery slope then they are frustrated b/c your supply is to low. Becareful if giving any formula -you need to pump if baby drinks formula. I would never pump b/c if I put baby down she would scream. I learned that maybe I should have let her cry for 10min in order to keep my supply up. Have you tryed compression. This sometimes keeps the milk going for a fussy baby. Also don't worry about a schedule but make sure you are offering the breast as much as baby wants. The schedule will work its self out eventually and you can make plans to get out of the house after a feeding. With a 3mon old you have to realize that they change all the time so this is probably just a phase. Look into nursing strikes, fast letdown, pumping to increase supply. Good Luck -Don't give up you might regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jocsmom View Post
    I just read your thread---it does sound a lot like us! But my baby started this at 3 mos. and now she's almost 4 mos. and I don't think she's teething yet. But the whole straightening out the back and legs when I try to burp her sounds identical. I am convinced I have a supply issue, but I've never done the weights at home to find out how much she's actually getting at each feeding. What did your LC tell you?

I am absolutely spent! I just want to see her pull off and be satisfied more than once or twice/day! BTW...how did you know you were having foremilk/hindmilk issues??

Mine will pull off and then get back on and suck 4 or 5 times and pull back off and fuss...
    I wasn't working with a LC when I weighed my LO at home. I just got paranoid that he wasn't getting enough.

I knew we were having foremilk/hindmilk issues when he started having green poop diapers a few times a day.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!