Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tiny pinpoint red dots around nipple. What are they?

Default Tiny pinpoint red dots around nipple. What are they?

I have thses tiny pinpoint size red dots around the base of my nipples. Just got through pumping and as I was blotting off milk, I did this area and there was small blood areas on tissue. What do you think this is? Baby is 7 months. She has 2 lower centrals but, no upper teeth yet and I can't feel anything on gums. Hope someone has an idea. thanks, Jonna
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months

Default Re: Tiny pinpoint red dots around nipple. What are they?

Couldn´t it be regular petechiae due to the extra pressure the pump puts on the area? Like a miniature hickey?

That's what I was hoping. Maybe nipples are just dry and they got irritated?

I get these to when I pump, I was going to post on here and ask what they were. Thanks for beating me to it.
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

I too was about to ask about this! I noticed them right after I got done pumping as well. I'm not in any pain or discomfort, but I was curious as to what they were.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Well, I now know the cause . We have thrush again I got to thinking and I had this the last time she got it. just not as bad. Then the other clues- biting, chewing, fussy, etc. Looked in her mouth last night and there it was! Talked to lactation consultant today. The red dots are an irritation from the pumping because of the yeast irritation. Today at work was preety uncomfortable. At the end of pump session, those little red dots were bleeding! She said we probably got it again due to her being on amox. for ear infection, and/or re-infected from bottles. I had stopped boiling because I read somewhere I could put them in the dishwasher. Well, I'm back to boiling again. Poor thing, now she has to take yucky pink amox. and the nystatin! She's so good though. Doesn't even fight me. Well, off to love her! Jonna