Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need feedback...

Exclamation Need feedback...

Ok, I am not sure where I am going wrong. I am pumping all the time, like every 3-4 hours and I am even pumping at night. Which my Dr is blaming my lack of sleep on me getting bronchitis. It's been 10 days now and I am still at square 1. My OB put me on Reglan and I am taking Fenugreek 3x a day, but still not producing anything but colostrum and not enough to even drip, just enough to wipe. Is it because I am sick? I've had the Bronchitis sense last Tuesday.

Any help would be appreciated ladies!
    Married April, 19 2008

DD (Jeni) - Born February 19, 2002

DS (Josh) - Born July 7, 2008

Default Re: Need feedback...

I am so sorry you are sick. As far as I know, being sick can sometimes affect supply. I am sure you are exhausted from all of the pumping too. Getting rest is important, but so is emptying the breasts often enough. Could you pump more often during the day like every 2 hours and then every 3-4 at night? This would give your body the signal to make more, but still allow you some sleep at night so you can rest. I don't know how long it takes to see an effect from Reglan so I can't speak to that. It is hard to balance everything. I hope that you feel better soon and I hope you will see more improvement in your milk supply. Slow but steady is good. I have been gradually increasing my milk for my DS born a few days after yours. Sometimes it is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. You can do it. Also, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Sometimes it takes a while for our bodies to react and with being sick your body may need a little more time. Thinking of you and cheering you on!
    2001 2004 2008

Default Re: Need feedback...

A few things come to mind... First, are you taking any kind of medication for your bronchitis? I have heard that some decongestants can cause supply to drop. Also, I know that lots of mamas have had more success with increasing supply and/or re-lactating by using Domperidone, instead of Reglan. If you can get your hands on some Dom, you might give that a try instead of Reglan. Thirdly, have you started your period lately? I know from personal experience that my supply dips just a few days before my period, and usually during the first few days of the period, then jumps back up. Also, how much Fenugreek are you taking? It is my understanding you need to be taking enough so that your body gives off the slight odor of "maple syrup." Make sure you are drinking lots of water and trying to rest! Are you eating oatmeal too? That is supposed to help give your supply a boost as well.

Good luck, mama...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.