Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike- help!

Default Nursing strike- help!

daughter will be 3 months old on the 11th and since Friday she has been on a nursing strike. I don't know what to do. I am able to BF her while lying in bed for her 6:30 am feeding but since Friday she has been yelling at me whenever I try to feed her. I have given in a few times out of fear of starving her and given her a bottle of pumped BM but I don't want her to think that she is always going to be fed by bottle. I also don't want to end up Exclusively pumping. I We made some progress this evening after her bath. I game her 2 ounces of pumped BM and then was able to BF her until she fell asleep. Any ideas on what to do? DO you guys think if she continues this I should giver her formula so that she associates the yucky tasting stuff with the bottle and the good tasting stuff comes from the breast? I know that my supply isn't an issue as when she refuses the breast I end of leaking and squirting all over her. I haven't eaten anything unusual either. I know she is hungry because she starts rooting but when I try to feed her she screams .

I also think it is all my fault because I am not at all comfortable nursing in public and always have a bottle of pumped milk with me when I leave the house. My family (mother and siblings) is not at all supportive of my BFing, so I also bottle feed her if they are visiting. My mother always tells me "I formula fed you and you turned out just fine."

What do you guys think I should do? Anyone have success with ending a nursing strike? should I just try to BF her ever 3 hours so she doesn't get hungry and is always satisfied? I really don't want to quit. I am getting so frustrated.

Default Re: Nursing strike- help!

i'm not a pro and have never experienced a nursing strike, but from what i've read, just keep trying! put her to the breast often and try a lot of skin to skin. hth

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Here is this mama. Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You might want to try taking a "nursing vacation." Just you and your baby in bed, lots of topless snuggling and relaxing, no bottles, no unsupportive visitors. Sometimes that is enough to coax a baby back to the breast.

I also think it is all my fault because I am not at all comfortable nursing in public and always have a bottle of pumped milk with me when I leave the house. My family (mother and siblings) is not at all supportive of my BFing, so I also bottle feed her if they are visiting. My mother always tells me "I formula fed you and you turned out just fine."
    Don't blame yourself! Nursing in public is a difficult skill to master and not everyone is comfortable doing it. Having unsupportive family makes it even harder. I'm sure your mom and siblings are great people, but you might want to ban them from your house until your baby gets back in the breastfeeding groove. Stand up for yourself and your baby and let them know that their criticism is unhelpful and inappropriate. Make your parental boundaries clear to them now and you will head off a lot of future meddling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"