Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New at solids - order to start confusion.

Wink New at solids - order to start confusion.

My little one is 7 months old and I have been so hesitant to start on processed cereals despite pressure. I do feel he is ready to start experimenting with foods and gave a taste of avocado today. he practically shoved the spoon in his mouth. Is this an ok food to start with? Do I give every day for a few days to see if there is a reaction or wait a few days to see if there is a reaction first? should I skip the cereal altogether and stick with veggies and fruits. my doctor has been saying I need to give him cereal since 4 months to avoid iron deficiency but he is exclusively breastfed and seems to be doing well (happy - gaining weight) so I don't always believe everything a doctor says. Probably main reason I went with a midwife to follow my pregnancy. please offer advice. from the LLL website I gather grains can be started later. is this a new wave of thinking?

Default Re: New at solids - order to start confusion.

I skipped the cereal! It's very very processed and doesn't have a ton of nutritional value! Yes, you should wait a couple of days in between introducing new foods, in case there is a reaction -you know exactly to what. There is great information on this site (if you go out of the mothers forum) about good 1st foods! Plus if you look around a little in this particular forum there's great info as well. The only thing we spoon feed is yougurt. We give him finger foods most days. ANd the all time favorite is watermelon! Which as a bonus has iron in it!! Good luck!

Avocado is a wonderful first food! We tried it with our little one at 7.5 months as a first food ... she didn't take to it as well as your baby though. We were shocked to watch her smear that avocado *everywhere* BUT her mouth ... since normally EVERYTHING goes straight into her mouth. She finally tasted it by accident when I gave her a baby spoon that she's used as a teether and put a little bit of avocado on it. She didn't know what to think! I gave her the avocado and then waited a couple days, then offered it again. Just be sure to space *new* foods out at least four days to see if there is a reaction. Our baby tried watermelon first and loved it, then avocado (not a big hit, but we're trying again as it's a fave of many babies and full of vitamins and healthy fats), and she just tried nectarine (was too sour to her, judging from her hilarious expressions). Sweet potatoes are next up on her menu.

Cereal is not necessary. The main reason people have started with cereal in the past (MANY are now skipping it completely) is because it's pretty safe allergy wise. Your little one is old enough to enjoy tasting fruits and veggies ... much more fun than mushy cereal IMO. And you generally don't need to worry about iron levels yet ... see Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?

Kellymom.com states: "Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby's first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and because most babies sometime after the 6th month require an additional iron source other than mother's milk. If your baby starts solids around 6 months or later, there is much less chance of allergic reaction to foods. It's debatable whether healthy breastfed babies need the extra iron (you can get baby's iron levels checked if you're worried about this). In addition, infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit). Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron."

Don't forget that your breastmilk provides more nutrients, fat and calories than any food you can provide your baby!

Kellymom.com states: "Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids."
    My DD is 8 months old and still exclusively breastfed (she has tasted a the three foods mentioned above a few times - about once a week the past month). We are following her lead on when to really start solids. Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation. And they sure have fun *playing* ... it is very messy and super fun for them and for us parents watching them explore! Here is a page I have really enjoyed ... baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods. I really like the idea of letting the baby set the pace and keeping the focus on play and exploration so the transition takes place as naturally as possible.

Here is another link on starting solids, with good ideas for first foods: First Foods.

As long as your little one is getting most of her calories and nutrition from breastmilk, you can be reassured that she is getting the BEST nutrition possible.

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks... great info!

Hi wikked2002,

Sorry for jumping in. But just curious, how did you feed avacados? pureed raw? or cooked them?

Thanx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by neelam.mom
    Hi wikked2002,

Sorry for jumping in. But just curious, how did you feed avacados? pureed raw? or cooked them?

Thanx in advance
    You don't need to cook avocados ... you can cut them into small cubes, or if you wish mash them with a fork.

See here: More about avocados
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 14th, 2006 at 09:42 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I buy the baby ones at WHOLE FOODS (they are 25 cents each) and slice them into thin slivers. They are long enough for him to get his hands around and still get some in his mouth! HTH

I mash up avacado and banana for my 7 month old. Avacado was his first solid food. He loved it initially, but after tasting other fruits & veggies, he was no longer interested in plain avacado.

Just mashed it with a spoon. Easy. I only gave him enough to taste and used some for my salad.