Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to Breast questions- HELP

Default Back to Breast questions- HELP

Help- I'm not sure how to go about getting my baby back to BFing- When my LO one was born we BF for the first week and then I had to give up- it was so painful. I saw 3 lactation consultants who all said that the latch was good but the pain and cracked nipples continued. I rented a hospital pump and now my LO is 6 weeks old and I have been pumping 8 x a day for 20 -30 minutes each session getting about 38 oz each day.

Two weeks ago I found out that my LO was tongue tied and we had it corrected and I suspect that was part of the latch issue- now

How do I get her back on the breast. This past week we have been trying "dessert" from the breast after she gets her pumped milk if she seems to want more - we are still working on the latch she doesn't seem to want to open up wide and she pulls off and arches her back- I suspect the dredded nipple confusion (we are using born free level 1) and that my breastmilk is coming out in sprays and might be too much for her. But I am committed to trying again and working on our latch issues.

Here are my questions--

-I just tried to nurse her, she was at the right breast for 10 minutes and then fell asleep. I burped her and tried to put her back on but she fell asleep again so I put her to bed. She typically has been taking 3 oz every 2 hours in a bottle and the bottle takes her 15 minutes to get down... so do you think she got full on just 10 minutes at the one breast- is this possible?

-Typically I pump for 20 to 30 minutes and get 4 oz per breast. Being that she only nursed for 10 minutes to I need to go and pump for the additional 10 to get the rest of the milk out of that breast- And If I typically pump for 20-30 but she only nursed for 10 did she just get just foremilk, did she get any hindmilk?

- Also should since it was only 10 minutes should I use that same side again next breast feed and go ahead and not pump that side and just pump out the other left side so I don't get clogs and she gets hindmilk?

- Do I continue to pump after her feeds so I can keep my supply up and ensure that I have back up in the fridge if BF does not work? Ideally I would like to keep pumping for 3 bottles a day for her Daddy to do the nighttime feedings.

Im so confused. I am happy that my LO will even try the breast again, I know many babies once they have the bottle will not go back and Im thankful that she seems willing. I really want this to work - any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
    Edit/Delete Message

Default Re: Back to Breast questions- HELP

Bump. Hopefully someone will have some advice.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Default Re: Back to Breast questions- HELP

When we were having this problem we did a lot of skin to skin. Lots of baths and basically I just walked around the house with my boobs hanging around. Sleep time too.

Here is some good information and tips that you could try.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?