Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to Breast question

Red face Back to Breast question

Help- I'm not sure how to go about getting my baby back to BFing- When my LO one was born we BF for the first week and then I had to give up- it was so painful. I saw 3 lactation consultants who all said that the latch was good but the pain and cracked nipples continued. I rented a hospital pump and now my LO is 6 weeks old and I have been pumping 8 x a day for 20 -30 minutes each session getting about 38 oz each day.

Two weeks ago I found out that my LO was tongue tied and we had it corrected and I suspect that was part of the latch issue- now

How do I get her back on the breast. This past week we have been trying "dessert" from the breast after she gets her pumped milk if she seems to want more - we are still working on the latch she doesn't seem to want to open up wide and she pulls off and arches her back- I suspect the dredded nipple confusion (we are using born free level 1) and that my breastmilk is coming out in sprays and might be too much for her. But I am committed to trying again and working on our latch issues.

Here are my questions--

-I just tried to nurse her, she was at the right breast for 10 minutes and then fell asleep. I burped her and tried to put her back on but she fell asleep again so I put her to bed. She typically has been taking 3 oz every 2 hours in a bottle and the bottle takes her 15 minutes to get down... so do you think she got full on just 10 minutes at the one breast- is this possible?

-Typically I pump for 20 to 30 minutes and get 4 oz per breast. Being that she only nursed for 10 minutes to I need to go and pump for the additional 10 to get the rest of the milk out of that breast- And If I typically pump for 20-30 but she only nursed for 10 did she just get just foremilk, did she get any hindmilk?

- Also should since it was only 10 minutes should I use that same side again next breast feed and go ahead and not pump that side and just pump out the other left side so I don't get clogs and she gets hindmilk?

- Do I continue to pump after her feeds so I can keep my supply up and ensure that I have back up in the fridge if BF does not work?

Im so confused. I am happy that my LO will even try the breast again, I know many babies once they have the bottle will not go back and Im thankful that she seems willing. I really want this to work - any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Default Re: Back to Breast question

I'm no where close to an expert, but i just wanted to offer some support.

This is what I think: she IS has nipple confusion; but that is giong to only go away if you nurse more and cut out the bottle. just watch for wet & dirty diapers.

If she is only nursing for 10 min I suspect she isnt getting the hindmilk. Try to just nurse her on one side so she will have more chances of getting the hindmilk. & switch breasts next time. Meanwhile make sure you pump to keep up your supply. She may not be an efficient drinker at this point so it is important that you do pump after.

Try not to set yourself up for failer by thinking it wont work. That's how you & baby get frustrated & really do give up.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK & KEEP US POSTED!!!

I'm sorry you had such a rough start! I'm so impressed that you soldiered on with the pumping. Here are some thing you can do to encourage your baby back to the breast:
    - Lots of skin-to-skin contact may encourage baby to latch when she's feeling relaxed. So do lots of topless snuggling, take baths together, etc.
    - Make bottle-feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible. When you're getting ready to give a bottle, open up your shirt, snuggle your baby close, tickle her lips with the bottle nipple, and wait until she opens wide before putting the bottle in her mouth. That way she won't learn sloppy latching habits.
    - Co-sleep. Many babies will nurse well when relaxed and half-asleep, and closeness to mom and mom's milky smell encourages night feeding.
    - Rent a professional baby scale. By weighing your baby before and after nursing, you can figure out exactly how much she is eating at the breast, and possibly put your mind at ease regarding her milk intake.

She typically has been taking 3 oz every 2 hours in a bottle and the bottle takes her 15 minutes to get down... so do you think she got full on just 10 minutes at the one breast- is this possible?
    It's quite possible! Babies tend to be more efficient at emptying the breast than pumps are. Since you describe your milk coming out in "sprays," I wonder if you may have a rapid, forceful milk ejection reflex, which would enable your baby to get more milk in less time. A forceful letdown, BTW, could also explain why your baby pulls off the breast and arches her back.

Typically I pump for 20 to 30 minutes and get 4 oz per breast. Being that she only nursed for 10 minutes to I need to go and pump for the additional 10 to get the rest of the milk out of that breast- And If I typically pump for 20-30 but she only nursed for 10 did she just get just foremilk, did she get any hindmilk?
    This is where a scale might come in really handy. If you weigh your baby and discover that she took in 2-3 oz already, there's no need to pump out more. You can probably just let your baby regulate your supply by nursing on demand. And again, since pumping is generally not as efficient as a baby at emptying the breast, it may well be that your baby drained you really thoroughly in the 10 minutes she spent at the breast. Watch her diapers: if she's having yellow, curdy poops, then she's getting plenty of hindmilk. If you're seeing greenish, watery poops, then she's probably not getting enough.

Also should since it was only 10 minutes should I use that same side again next breast feed and go ahead and not pump that side and just pump out the other left side so I don't get clogs and she gets hindmilk?
    Since you're making 38 oz of milk per day, which sounds like a LOT for a baby less than a month old, I'd probably just do the conventional thing at feeding sessions: offer side A, allow the baby to nurse until she seems done, and then offer side B as dessert. If you allow your baby unrestricted time on side A, she will get the hindmilk out. At the next feeding, start on side B and then offer side A as dessert.

Do I continue to pump after her feeds so I can keep my supply up and ensure that I have back up in the fridge if BF does not work?
    This is up to you. If you feel better with a fridge full of back-up, then go for it. If not, then you can probably relax, because it sounds to me like breastfeeding IS going to work for you, and soon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have breastfed four kids. My three month old feeds from one side only every 3 1/2 hours for exactly 7 minutes. The next feeding we nurse on the other side. Don't be consumed with measuring what she ate vs what you pumped. Pumps try to "mimic" a baby nursing but only come close. You know your baby>>Is she satisfied?? Going to sleep is a good sign. Wet diapers?? Are your breasts notably softer after she eats. Do you hear gulping or swallowing sounds. It is possible that your milk comes much faster than that in a bottle. Try not to be consumed by measuring ounces. I have always breastfed and only supplemented BM bottles while at work. It easy to be come preoccupied with measuring ounces but if your baby is not crying then shes satisfied.

I'm not an expert on OALD or oversupply (so someone correct me if I'm getting this all wrong), but if you have either or both of those, and also if you're having trouble with her getting too much foremilk, you might think about pumping before putting her on the breast, like while she's feeding (you might need some help co-ordinating this though). She might do a little better at latching on if you've emptied your breasts a little. The problem with that though is that you might end up pumping too much and exacerbating the problem. It might be worth going back to one of the LC's and getting some advice from them about a specific game plan. Good luck - you can do this!!!!