Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Tired of the Supply Battle!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default So Tired of the Supply Battle!

This isn't about establishing supply. It once was and now it's dwindling to near nothing. However, it has ALWAYS been a struggle and I'm getting tired of that struggle. I have been bfing for 16 months now. I returned to work 3 months ago and since then, I've been declining and declining. Somedays work is so hectic, I'm lucky if I get to pump once. So among the factors of not pumping enough, being stressed and separated from him, it's no wonder. I just don't know what to do. He can't have any other milk b/c of all of his allergies. I don't want him to not get enough. Neither of us is ready for weaning. I don't know really what I'm looking for by posting this. Maybe some brilliant ideas...encouragement...advice from moms who stayed home for a year then returned to work and had a similar experience...
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: So Tired of the Supply Battle!

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this Mama...

I wish I had some btdt advice for you.

I'm sure someone here will.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I was home with DJ for 14 months and then went back to work full time and I never ever pumped, He never drank anything while away from me accept water and nothing bad happened. IME both in real life and from being here and dealing with many mothers past the year point, is that once you've been doing it for a year or more, you can pretty much stop worrying. In fact if you want to hang up the pump altogether, you probably could. ANd still trust your body to make enough to nurse on demand. In fact many women report going away over night or for two nights and picking up right where they left off.
    It's very hard for women who struggle with supply initially to believe that sometimes and often even harder to pump wean, but honestly, you'll be okay. AND if you are still nursing your toddler 3-5x a day and he is eating solids, you don't need to worry about replacement milk. That is enough milk. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I agree with Shelly. You don't have to be pumping right now if she nurses enough when you are together (3-5x). By all means if you want to, do it, but don't feel like you have to. It sounds like your pumping output is stressing you out. If you hang up the pump and just nurse when you're together maybe that will bring you more peace and your supply will be as it should. Stress lowers supply.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

He nurses two or three times per day. I like for him to have a cup of milk at lunch, so I pump.

MY SUPPLY IS VERY LOW!!! Here's how I can best explain. Last Friday, I nursed him in the morning, maybe 6:00 or 7:00. Then went to work, didn't pump all day, picked him up from daycare, took him to my mom's who watched him for the night so I could go out of town for the night, pumped that night and got maybe 3 ounces. I went over 12 hours and that's all I got. The next morning, I pumped after 7 hours and only got 2 ounces. So if I'm only nursing two, maybe three times per day, he's getting ten ounces at AT THE MOST. (I'm talking total, both sides combined.)

On the weekends, I nurse as much as he'll sit still for and it's not helping. I try to pump as much as I can and I sometimes only get drops. Yes, I am worried about it and I know that has an effect. It seems hopeless and I'm considering weaning because I feel like I'm failing.

I wish I could say that I feel comfortable hanging up the pump but when I'm producing so little, it seems that there's no way he'd get enough with as little as I'm making as it is.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apron.strings View Post
    pumped that night and got maybe 3 ounces. I went over 12 hours and that's all I got. The next morning, I pumped after 7 hours and only got 2 ounces. So if I'm only nursing two, maybe three times per day, he's getting ten ounces at AT THE MOST. (I'm talking total, both sides combined.)

your pumping output doesn't necessarily equal what your Lo is able to get out. Babies are much more effective than pumps, so chances are he is getting more than you are able to pump.

On the weekends, I nurse as much as he'll sit still for and it's not helping. I try to pump as much as I can and I sometimes only get drops. Yes, I am worried about it and I know that has an effect. It seems hopeless and I'm considering weaning because I feel like I'm failing.
    It sounds like you are really stressed out

I think if I were you I would drop the pump before I would wean. I mean, nursing while at home is better than not nursing at all, kwim? Hang in there mama.

is there a way that you could fit in another nursing session or two while at home? That way you wouldn't have to worry about pumping at all.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

On work days, I nurse once around 6 or 7 in the morning and then it's off to work/daycare. Then I pick up around 5 pm. Once we're at the house, we nurse once before dinner and then once more before bed. It disappoints me that we don't have another opportunity to nurse on work days because I know he's not getting much at all at any of these nursing sessions. He doesn't have that "fulfilled" look anymore like he used to. No more of that look and smile where I knew he was satisfied.

When I first started back to work, I reliably would pump 4 ounces at a session a couple of times each day. Now I'm lucky if I get half of that.

Yes, he is more efficient than a pump. Even so, I don't think there are ounces left in my breasts after I'm done pumping. When they're infants, it's one thing. As a toddler who's getting all of his milk from momma and not from a jug from the store, I feel a ton of pressure that my output is way less than what it should be.

You can't know what he is getting. And him being a toddler vs. a baby is no reason to think he isn't getting what he needs when he nurses. When I tried to go away for an 8hour spa day when DJ was 10 months old is took me 10 DAYS to pump 2 4oz bottles. I have never had a supply issue. But a pumping issue yes. The bottom line is he needs less now that he is older because he eats more solid food. But you said you pump because you want him to have that milk at lunch. I understand that. But it doesn't have to mean the end of everything because he no longer gets that bottle. And I don't know that you should even be looking for that "full Look" from a toddler who is getting quite a bit of his nutrition from solids. Not that he isn't getting nutrition from you milk because he absolutely is, but he may be more concerned about reconnecting with you than filling up on milk. Especially if dinner is coming and he knows it. Barring a pregnancy that you don't yet know about, it very unlikely that your supply is actually dwindling vs. just adjusting to what he needs at this point. If the pumping is causing you stress, let it go.

Way too lazy for formula

He eats solids like a champ! I do know that i only get three ounces, four at the most, even after not nursing for 12 hours. So 8 ounces of milk per day max. doesn't sound like enough to me, and that's where my concern lies. After 12 hours of no pumping or nursing, I should feel full. I don't.

He eats solids like a champ! I do know that i only get three ounces, four at the most, even after not nursing for 12 hours. So 8 ounces of milk per day max. doesn't sound like enough to me, and that's where my concern lies. After 12 hours of no pumping or nursing, I should feel full. I don't.
    Why should you? I am not full after 12 or even 16hours away from DJ. I never pump. And yet I always have milk for him to nurse. Nursing in the 2nd year is an entirely different ball game than in the 1st year. You know what you PUMP. You don't know what you give him when he nurses. Pumping is never a good indicator of how much milk we make. Even less so in the 2nd year. Your body is completely adjusted to making milk. Your body understands that you are no longer the main source of nutrition. As a long as a child over a year is nursing 3-5x in a 24hour period, your child is still getting enough from you nutritionally that you don't even need to introduce cow's milk. If you are still nursing while together AND you are giving him 3-4oz while away, you are doing better than fine.

Way too lazy for formula