Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sucking vs drinking

Default Sucking vs drinking

I am trying hard to increase my milk supply and get my baby off supplement bottles. She is one month old, and we've gone through real issues with sucking, weight loss, and a large amount of supplementation so I think that these caused me to have less production than I would have. I feed her frequently now on cue, but I still have to supplement, especially in the afternoons. She takes around 150 to 230 ml per day of formula. Do you think there is good hope for me that my supply will increase? I want to feel positive because I am sure that will help me, but on the other hand I do not want to be overconfident and in any way shortchange my baby.

Also, I have read from Dr. Newman about the difference between sucking and drinking. I can really observe now when my baby is really drinking at the beginning of a feeding: opening wide and pausing and closing, swallowing sounds, even hearing the milk splashing into her tummy, it seems. But this usually goes on for quite a short time before most of these signs are no longer evident. They sometimes increase when I compress the breast, but not for long. My question: when baby is sucking less vigorously and I do not hear swallowing, nor does her chin pause after she opens wide, is she still getting something? Or should I take her off the breast and try the other. I really don't know what to do, and would love advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Sucking vs drinking

Congratulations on becoming a mother!

What things have you tried in order to increase your supply? There's another current thread on this board that is a list of things other mothers had done to increase their supply.

If you are not pumping, I suggest you consider that.

It is terrific that you are so observant when your baby is nursing! It can be difficult to tell when a baby is actively sucking and swallowing, and when the baby is just hanging out. You said that when you compress the breast, you notice that your baby starts actively sucking and swallowing again. Have you tried then compressing in a different location on the same breast?

In case you haven't read Dr. Newman's description of breast compression, here is a link.

I hope some other mothers jump in here with suggestions.

Best wishes!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

If you meet all of your babies needs at the breast your supply is sure to go up! It sounds like you need a supplemental nursing system for the times you need to supplement! You can buy one or contact an LC or pediatrician (or shoot a GP!) for a feeding tube. You can slit the top of a nipple and slip it down into the bottle. Use paper tape (like for IV's or gauze) and tape it onto the breast, the end of the feeding tube extending just past the nipple. As long as the end of the tube is in the supplement the babies force with suck it up into the tube while at the breast! Oh there is a little plug on the fat part of the feeding tube, just cut that off. You can rinse the tube with warm water and a syringe like for dispensing medicine at the pharmacy.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thank you, ladies.

Marianne, what I've been doing is trying to reduce the amount of formula as much as possible, nurse on cue, waken baby if she sleeps too long, and drink brewer's yeast, milk, and water.

I live in Macedonia and I do not know of electric pumps here. The hand pump I have does not do much for me. I have never heard of SNS available here either.

I have tried different ways of compression or massaging, but since I'm small, it's hard for me to get my fingers under the breast and not push against the baby.

I know my breasts can produce and hold enough for one feeding. In the middle of the night last night Naomi did not even take all there was. I no longer supplement in the night. However, it takes time to build up that much in the day and sometimes Naomi "gets ahead of me" in her demand and it seems like my supply doesn't match. That's when I supplement. But I will try to cut down on that. What do you think?

Dr. Sears recommends nursing as long as baby wants. But if baby is just "idling" at the breast, nibbling, is there sense in sitting there for an hour, when, as Dr. Newman says, she might be drinking for just a couple of minutes? So I will often take her off and switch her to the other breast. But then to flip back to the first breast again, there has not been much built up, and that is where I am uncertain. I do not fill up that fast, so after each breast has been sucked till the point where sucking slows down and seems unproductive, is there sense in continuing to switch back and forth?

Thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*naomismommy View Post
    Thank you, ladies.

Marianne, what I've been doing is trying to reduce the amount of formula as much as possible, nurse on cue, waken baby if she sleeps too long, and drink brewer's yeast, milk, and water.

I live in Macedonia and I do not know of electric pumps here. The hand pump I have does not do much for me. I have never heard of SNS available here either.

I have tried different ways of compression or massaging, but since I'm small, it's hard for me to get my fingers under the breast and not push against the baby.

I know my breasts can produce and hold enough for one feeding. In the middle of the night last night Naomi did not even take all there was. I no longer supplement in the night. However, it takes time to build up that much in the day and sometimes Naomi "gets ahead of me" in her demand and it seems like my supply doesn't match. That's when I supplement. But I will try to cut down on that. What do you think?

Dr. Sears recommends nursing as long as baby wants. But if baby is just "idling" at the breast, nibbling, is there sense in sitting there for an hour, when, as Dr. Newman says, she might be drinking for just a couple of minutes? So I will often take her off and switch her to the other breast. But then to flip back to the first breast again, there has not been much built up, and that is where I am uncertain. I do not fill up that fast, so after each breast has been sucked till the point where sucking slows down and seems unproductive, is there sense in continuing to switch back and forth?

Thank you so much for your help.
    Thanks for telling us what you're already doing. That helps me help you.

There are some other herbal methods of increasing your supply on lowmilksupply.org. Maybe there is something there that you can find easily in Macedonia. (Embarrassing example of what a stereotypical American I am: I had to look up Macedonia to find out where it is.)

I agree that Dr. Sears and Dr. Newman seem to be contradicting each other. Your intuition seems to be telling you that there is no point in continuing to nurse when your baby is not actively sucking and swallowing, and your breasts seem empty. That makes sense to me. I've come to realize that there *is* such a thing as *intuition*, even "mother's intuition" . So, if your intuition is telling you there's no reason to continue nursing at that point, then stop. I hope this is making sense...

It's great news that you no longer need to supplement at night! Yay! Have you considered pumping after your baby nurses then? (Yeah, I know. Who wants to sit up and pump in the middle of the night? Just a thought).

Yes, I think you're on the right track.

Sending lots of encouragement.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Dear Marianne,

Thank you. I have good news. Naomi is off the supplements. I decided to do one of those "on the couch all day" days and feed her every time she cried. We got till 8 pm before I felt I was empty and she was still hungry, so we gave her 60 ml. The next evening she didn't even take the bottle. Today is our fourth day. I am so thankful!

I am learning to listen to my intuition too. I want to be as wise and careful as possible, yet not worry overly. Watching and recording diapers helps me know that I'm not just blindly winging it. Thanks again so much for your help!

Well done Naomismommy. I am so impressed that you followed your intuition and succeeded getting Naomi off formula so quickly!
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*naomismommy View Post
    Dear Marianne,

Thank you. I have good news. Naomi is off the supplements. I decided to do one of those "on the couch all day" days and feed her every time she cried. We got till 8 pm before I felt I was empty and she was still hungry, so we gave her 60 ml. The next evening she didn't even take the bottle. Today is our fourth day. I am so thankful!

I am learning to listen to my intuition too. I want to be as wise and careful as possible, yet not worry overly. Watching and recording diapers helps me know that I'm not just blindly winging it. Thanks again so much for your help!
    It's great to hear of your success! I hope you'll hang around. You're an expert now, , and can help other mothers.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader