Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it a waste of time to try?

Default Is it a waste of time to try?

My LO was EBF at the hospital when she was born. When I brought her home she did not want to take the breast so I continued to pump as much as possible and fed it to her in a bottle and I also supplemented with formula. At her 1 month check up her Dr. told me to add cereal to her milk due to vomiting spells and a rash that she developed. My milk supply decreased significantly so I stopped pumping a few weeks ago. I was getting fustrated because I was only able to pump about 1/2 oz. She is now 3 1/2 months old and I am now on my 6th type of formula. The vomiting has decreased some and the rash comes and goes every couple of days. I do not want to change her formula again. Sometimes she wants to latch on but she gets fustrated because I do not have enough milk to satisfy her. Would it be a waste of time to try to relactate since she does have the willingness to latch on? And if so, how do I go about starting the process?

Default Re: Is it a waste of time to try?

have you asked your doctor about GERD? they can give meds to treat it.

Also, it would not be a waste of time to increase your supply. IF baby wont latch- pump.

To get started i would contact a LC/LLL and seek out as much support as possible for the vomiting and increasing supply. then i would check out kellymom.com and she has a looooon list of herbs you can get to increase supply. it wont be instant but it will incease. You have to take the herbs everyday and pump day and night... when you have a good supply then you can latch baby ( i say that just incase its a supply issue as to why she wont nurse, but you can try latching as your supply increases) or continue to pump if you dont want/she doesnt want to nurse. Then when supply is really good- wean off herbs.

You could also look into Reglan or Domperidone. (both are Rx and can be used) Reglan can cause depression. Domeridone is sometimes hard to come by in the US. (not to say its illegal, but some docs wont give it out).

I have relactated... it is possible. many women on LLL have and have found GREAT support here. for whatever you choose.

My other advice: regarding the vomiting... ask your ped to actually LOOK into why. Dont take no for an answer- get another ped if you have to. thats not something to take lightly, especially if LO has lost weight because of it. Gerd is a possiblity, allergies (such as milk, soy, etc), immature stomach valve (my DS had this, they grow out of it eventually). regarding the cereal in bottle... -- if you give that to a baby with GERD, it actually makes it worse.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Birdof1985, at what age did you relactate for your little one? I am in the same boat. My baby is 3 1/2 mo. and I am trying to get my supply up so that baby will take me and not the supplement. I am using the hospital grade pump, herbs, etc... Trying to pum 8-10 x's in a 24 hr. period which is supposed to help. I have twins though that are 2 1/2 and it has been hard! We can do it though! Let's just put our minds to it! Keep us posted how progress is going!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

she was about 4m old or so... (she was under 1yr old i know that). I had DS at the time too and he was just over 1, so it was hard.. but i was able to do it. I would make little goals to reach. That way you are striving for something and you dont feel like you only have 1 goal and have to jump hurdles to make it.

ex: maybe start tomorrow " ok im going to pump 5X today" and then when the days done and youve pumped 5X- congrats! give yourself a treat of some kind. kwim?
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d

Thanks for the info. How did you relactate? What steps did you go through? Was baby latching? Thanks for letting me know.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I contacted an LC and LLL. I got herbs, reglan, and a pump. my LC and I set out an outline, plus i did research on RL. I was to take reglan (or take the herbs as recommened on KM) plus pump every 2-3hours day and night. DD1 was using a nipple shield- she would never latch without it.

its important you keep a consistant pumping schedule. have you thought of cup feeding?? i saw you said the SNS wasnt working well
    Last edited by @llli*birdof1985; October 6th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d