Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to bf-ing, need help with something I read...

Question New to bf-ing, need help with something I read...

I read something in another post that I have a question on. It said, "What do your nips look like when your baby comes off the breast? Are they symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical like the ends of new lipsticks? (Symmetrical is good. Asymmetrical is not.)" My question is, what makes them look asymmetrical? Does that mean that the baby's mouth isn't attached at the correct angle? And whatever the cause, how do you fix it?

Default Re: New to bf-ing, need help with something I read...

That quote sounds like something I wrote.

When you see asymmetrical nips that look like the ends of new lipsticks, my understanding is that the baby is not latched on deeply enough. When a baby is latched on correctly, the nipple is drawn into the back on the mouth, nearly into the baby's throat, and the tongue and gums and lips are moving against the resilient tissue of the areola instead of compressing the sensitive tissue of the nipple. This is while it's called "breastfeeding" and not "nipplefeeding."

There's no one right way to fix a shallow latch. What works for one mom won't for another. But check out these links: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html Something there may help. If not, then it's probably a good idea to go and see a lactation consultant, because nothing beats hands-on help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wouldn't get too paranoid about it if things are going well otherwise. I saw all sorts of things wrong with my latch when I was reading books, even after things were going well. If you're experiencing pain, or it seems like your baby's not nursing enough, then this might be a way to diagnose that you have a shallow latch. Is your baby really opening wide when latching on?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I wouldn't get too paranoid about it if things are going well otherwise.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"