Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Travel for work - lots of questions

Default Travel for work - lots of questions

I have to travel for work (flying). I will be away one night and 2 full days. LO is staying home with his dad and MIL will be helping out.

Can I take pumped milk on the plane, or will I have to pump & dump?

I'm concerned that my supply will decrease, can this happen in 2 days? Should I do anything to prevent this (other than pumping as often as I can)?

How can I estimate how much milk I will need to leave for LO? I think I have a decent stockpile now but he seems to drink more when bottlefed.

Thanks!

Default Re: Travel for work - lots of questions

Are you in the US? What I have heard is that you can now carry it on the plane with you (but double-check that - it wasn't the case when I was travelling and could change again). If not, you can certainly check it. How far are you traveling?

How old is LO?

My one warning: Don't underestimate how much you need to pump while you're gone. Both times I was away for a couple days on business, I ended up getting really engorged and plugged ducts and sick feeling (not mastistis, no fever, but really crummy-feeling). If you are used to nursing late at night, DON'T take the opportunity to get a "good night's rest". Get up and pump. Remember the baby is much more efficient at emptying your breasts, so even if you're used to pumping regularly at work, a 2-day trip away from baby can take some effort to keep up. I learned this the hard way. Not trying to scare you, just don't want you to suffer the way I did.

But don't panic about losing your supply. Even with all my engorgement, all it took was a day back with my son, and we were back to normal.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cbear View Post
    I have to travel for work (flying). I will be away one night and 2 full days. LO is staying home with his dad and MIL will be helping out.

Can I take pumped milk on the plane, or will I have to pump & dump?
    In the US, you can take on as much milk as you need. You just have to claim it at security. I had mine in a separate case (an insulated lunch bag with freezer packs). Lo no longer has to be with you to do this as this used to be the case. They just recently relaxed that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cbear View Post
    I'm concerned that my supply will decrease, can this happen in 2 days? Should I do anything to prevent this (other than pumping as often as I can)?

How can I estimate how much milk I will need to leave for LO? I think I have a decent stockpile now but he seems to drink more when bottlefed.

Thanks!
    How old is your lo? Yes, lo's do drink more when it's from a bottle. Breastfeeding is much more than nutrition, as you probably well know.

Pump as often as you can b/c travel can truly take its toll on your supply. Be sure to keep eating well and drinking plenty of water.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

lo will be 3.5 months when I take the trip.

And it s only in the US.

I agree with PP to that you have to be dedicated to maintaining a regular pumping schedule. It helped me to (because I'm anal!) to have a list of all the times I needed to pump that I could check off. Otherwise I was bound to get caught up in work and forget. With an LO that age I would 2nd the importance of pumping at night if your LO still night feeds. When I traveled overnight my LO was 10mos and I was able to go from 11pm to 6am w/out getting engorged, but I know back when she was 3mos I wouldn't have been able to do that.

If you are staying at a hotel ask for a minifridge in your room. It helped a lot to have that for storage.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09