Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to move the weaning along- I think

Default trying to move the weaning along- I think

DD is 20 months and only nurses before bed or once in a blue moon in the morning if she catches me undressed. She is fine if Dad or nana puts her down with no milk when I am not home and some nights she will skip the milk and just read stories and sing. We have gone as long as 5 or 6 days with no milk and when she does "drink" it is literally 10-30 seconds on each side. I would like her to wean possibly before christmas or maybe even thanksgiving as I have had to eliminate all dairy from my diet due to her allergy and I really would like to enjoy some holliday food with dairy and a slice of PIZZA soon. I love nursing my daughter and I will greatly miss our special times but I feel like she really does not need it much any more. I want to be a gently as possible but slightly encourage her to wean. I originally never knew I would nurse this long and was stressed about whether I would make it to my goal of 1 year. Will I feel guilty if I wean her and she gets a cold this winter? I am not sure immunilogically if I would make that much of a difference with the extremely minimal nursing that she is currently doing anyway. Help always appreciated.

Default Re: trying to move the weaning along- I think

I'm not sure of your exact question.
    Are you looking for ways to wean completely?
    Are you wanting to know if you will feel guilt over weaning if your lo gets sick?
    How do you feel now about your dd weaning? It sounds as if you are well on your way to being weaned by Christmas.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

With no more than she is nursing, have you tried adding back in the dairy to see if she still reacts to it? I would think the amount of milk proteins she would be able to get in 10-30 seconds of nursing once a week or so would probably not amount to enough to bother her (unless of course it's a really severe allergy.) Just throwing out another option...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Just an update. I think my milk might be completely gone. Im sorry for the previous rambling post, I guess I jsust have some bittersweet feeling about my baby growing up but at the same time look forward to being done. I really do not think there is any milk there. I know some people say that is does not completely dry out for months but is this always the case? I cant even express a single drop and I have tried on several ocasions over the past 2 weeks at different times of the day. Is it possible that I could be dry? I was never one to have an overabundant supply except in the very early days and it has always been a struggle to meet her needs. If this is the case I think dd and I will both be okay and I could maybe just till her the milkies are all gone? Lots of times she will say "mommy milk " but the proceed to reach for her cup and tell me to get the rice milk out of the fridge. I just put her down for her nap and she is currently sick and she did not even ask. She seems pretty happy with hugs, stories and her special doggy blanket at nap and bedtime. I guess I am rambling again but I know you guys are great listeners.

It is hard to deal with, even when you sort of want it to happen. Just remember that you've been such a great mommy providing the very best for your LO and doing what you have to do to keep her healthy and dairy free. You are a great mom and you'll continue to be a great mom even if you never nurse again. Congratulations to you for giving your daughter the very best!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous