Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: doesn't seem to like it anymore

Default doesn't seem to like it anymore

We started DS on rice cereal at around 5 1/2 months. He had been begging at the table for weeks and one night while we were staying with my parents, he looked so incredibly desperate for it that I gave him some. He really seemed to enjoy the new experience for the rest of the time we were there.

Since we've been home, it's just deteriorated. Every now and again he'll scarf down a bowl of cereal and fruit or veg, but more usually, he'll be interested in the first few bites and then it slowly devolves until he's just crying and I give up. Anybody else have this?

He's 6 1/2 months now and I think he's perfectly ready for this, but maybe he's just so interested in all his new skills (crawling!!) that he doesn't want to just sit there and eat? He's also been nursing much more quickly over the past weeks. I think he's just gotten more efficient, but it really doesn't seem like he gets very much.

Default Re: doesn't seem to like it anymore

A few bites is pretty much all a baby his age is supposed to be eating, really. Solids are for expirementation and they should not be an upsetting thing; if she starts to loose interest, stop offering and just let him play. Breastmilk is still his main food source until he's 12 mo anyway.

One other thing is maybe he wants to self-feed? Many babies get tired of the whole spoon feeding thing really quick and want some way to enjoy the whole eating expirence where they have the control themselves. Have you tried offeirng him some finger foods and see how he does? Good finger foods for his age include bite sized pieces of ripe banana or avacado and chunks of steamed or baked squash, sweet potato, or yam.

Default Re: doesn't seem to like it anymore

We've tried self feeding, yes. He loved it for a little while, then went back to us feeding him. I was just reading Brazelton about this - I guess I didn't realize he could do finger foods already. But he probably could pick up small bits of banana or something. I should try that. Sigh. More mess. I guess I have to suck that up. He'll probably love it.

Thanks for that response.