Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing at night

Exclamation nursing at night

My lo is 5 months old. I want to EBF for 6 months. At day care she is taking in 7 oz at each bottle, three bottles a day plus I feed her before she goes and three times at night. Which I am trying to get down to two, then she would wake up once a night. Sometimes sleep the whole night. Well, last night and the night before she woke up for her last feeding and after I feed her she had gone to sleep so I put her in the bassinet by my bed where I have her sleep but she woke up and started crying. She kept spitting out her pacifer. So I told my husband to change her diaper, came back awake but went to sleep. Two hours later, wakes up and cries, so I feed her again, everytime she wakes up she cries. And when I feed her at night I am laying down so I go back to sleep and when I wake up she has just let go and then I switch to the other side. So it seems like she stays on one side for an hour and then the other side for another hour and I switch all night long until it is time to get up. So since I am trying to make sure she gets 7 oz at each feed for day care I was going to try to increase my supply by pumping after feeding. I use to get about 3 or 4 oz and now I am barely able to get 2. So now has it gone down? My question is has this night feeding caused it? How can I stop the night feeding and be able to sleep again normally? Is this a sign that she needs solids? Please help!
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

Default Re: nursing at night

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're trying to reduce? Is it the night wakings or the number of bottles? I would try decrease the amount you have them feed her at every feeding. If they're used to feeding formula, they are likely overfeeding her - breastmilk is much more efficient. You should be able to get away with 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are away - about 4 ounces per bottle.

I don't think the night feeding would reduce your supply during the day. It may be just that you've been pumping for a while, which is not as effective as the baby nursing. Plus if she's getting overfed during the day, she won't be as hungry when she nurses in the evening (but may want to nurse as often, if that makes sense, because of the comfort). Hope that helps!

Oh, and definitely not a sign she needs solids. The solid food should still be only for learning and entertainment for a while yet.

Thanks that helps so much. I am the only one who is breastfeeding in her class and so maybe they just expect her to eat as much as everyone else. She will drink all that she is given. When I only send about 4 or 5 oz. she continues to suck on the bottle and they think she wants more but I think she just likes to suck! That's why she has a pacifer or else she would stay on me round the clock. I may not be having problems with my supply, I guess I will have to wait and see on Monday when I go back to work. Thanks.
    First time mom to Kaylee

Have you been back at work for a while or just in the las few weeks?

The reason I ask is that some babies do what's known as "reverse cycle" when their mothers return to work or school. That is, the baby prefers the mother's presence and the breast over the bottle.

Although your baby is taking a lot during the day, the fact that she is waking to nurse more often at night makes me think maybe she prefers you to the bottle.

Just a thought...
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

i agree with giving her less during the day. 7 oz seems an awful lot for a 5 month old!
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Well, I have been back at work for a little over two months now. I read that sometimes the reverse cycling happens when they are going through a new transition like teething. So I think that may be it. I just want to get through it. I got a little more sleep last night but she stayed in bed with me all night. Not sure if it is her preferring me over the bottle but it is a nice thought I'm glad you think 7 oz is too much. I sent 6 today and I have 5 for tomorrow. I guess since the DC is use to formula fed they think she needs more and I didn't really know much different.
    First time mom to Kaylee

Nora did this too when I went back to work. It lasted a couple of months for us, but I sort of encouraged it since I went back when she was only 5 weeks and I was afraid my supply would drop.

How is it going for you? Is she sleeping any better? Are you still pumping enough?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She is still nursing often at night. I think my supply has dropped a little but it may be because she has stopped a growth spurt. I just have an extra pumping if I don't get 3 5oz bottles during the day. Today I pumped while driving. That was interesting! I can barely get the 5 oz and last week the DCP used one of my frozen BM. Then I realized I only had like one feeding left in the freezer so I have had to pump extra on weekends to build up my stash some. I'm getting use to the night thing and just taking advantage of all the cuddle time.
    First time mom to Kaylee

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leslie.wood View Post
    I'm getting use to the night thing and just taking advantage of all the cuddle time.
    It's actually kind of nice to have that time to reconnect. I know I enjoyed it and kind of miss it now that she is sleeping all night in her own bed (though having my bed back is nice, too)

Sounds like you guys are working out a good routine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous