Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething :-(

Unhappy Teething :-(

Hi, It seems that my 9 month old boy is teething. He seems uncomfortable drooling more, biting everything (more than usual), low grade fever, etc. Also his gums seem a little red. He enjoys a cold teething toy..
    But the reason why I am posting is because since this started the way he nurses has changed and I am sore. My nipples seem to be a little bruised. I think he may be clamping his gums on them :-( Has this happened to anyone else? Any advise?

Default Re: Teething :-(

I noticed that with the first two teeth. My 5.5 mo old got his first two teeth the end of December. The struggle for us has been that now he is nursing less and less. He too chews on everything but is constantly fussy. I do not know what to do to keep him less fussy and to keep him eating.

Hello,
    My baby is 14 months and is getting his molars in. and still nurses hard. I can tell when he's getting his teeth by the way he nurses. Instead of in the front chewing he tries to shove my nipple to the side. When I feel like he's going to do that I push on his cheek to release and wait while the pain goes away and then nurse again. The pediatrician told me not to use baby oragel, but it helps to relieve pain on the baby for just enough time to get in a feeding. I rather do that then have sore nipples.
    Mandy

Ok, I am glad to know its pretty "standard", I know now what to expect at least! He is doing a lot better, and I can see the 2 front teeth starting to show thru his gums.

hylands has teething tables that are just wonderfull!
    you can get them at rite-aid or cvs or wal-mart

also you might fry a frozen wash cloth to chew on.

My nine month old always does that when he's teething. Sometimes he gets the point that he's hurting me if I pull him in real tight so his nose is covered and he has to let go of his latch. Then I look at him and say, "no! THat hurts mommy!" in a firm voice. My leader advised me of this when he started gumming me at 4.5 months and it usually works until the next tooth and we have to go through the whole thing again. I had to do it today, in fact. After I take him off, I give him a cold, wet wash cloth to chew and suck on and he loves that. My sympathies! Oh... als o, lanolin helps sooth and heal nipples for me.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

The frozen washcloth is a great idea, and you could even try it BEFORE you know he is ready to nurse. That way you numb things a little for him and he won't irritate you as much with his gnawing!

This will pass, but good luck!

I'm not looking forward to teething, my dd already has a good grip without teeth.lol

Here's a variation on the frozen washcloth idea. We always took an ice cube and wrapped it in a washcloth, fastening it closed with a rubber band. Nice and hard and cold to gnaw on with the texture of the washcloth. I found letting the child gnaw first before nursing helped (except for the cold mouth attaching to your warm breast...brrrr! Better than biting, though )

This too shall pass!

Dawn

Thanks a lot for the great recommendations. We are doing a lot better, I am not as sore and we can see a little tooth peeking out! Thanks again!

Rosana
    Mom of Gustavo, 9 months