Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short feedings, big burps, grumpy baby

Default Short feedings, big burps, grumpy baby

I cannot figure out what's going on with my LO. Here's what's been happening for most of our daytime feedings for the past few weeks:

• LO latches on

• Milk lets down

• LO eats for 1-2 minutes, then starts crying

• I try to sit up LO to burp him, but he straightens out body and starts fussing

• I put LO on shoulder to burp him and he sucks frantically on my neck

• LO usually burps REALLY loud, sometimes twice

Sometimes after all of this happens, he'll eat from the other side. However, I had to stop offering the other side, because he started having a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

LO cut 2 teeth this week, which could be related. This has been happening at least 2 weeks and I'm getting extremely frustrated. I know he's not getting enough to eat. His diapers aren't as wet as they used to be, but he's content.

I don't have OALD. Any ideas?
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: Short feedings, big burps, grumpy baby

What happens if you put him back on the first side again after burping him?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Sometimes he will take the first side again for another minute or two, but usually he refuses that side.

Does he usually seem really hungry when you get him to the breast? If you, you might try anticipating when he might be starting to get hungry and put him to the breast before the point you usually would. If he isn't feeling so hungry he might get less air. Since you mentioned teething, you might try wetting a freezing a corner of a wet washcloth and giving him that to chew on for a bit before putting him back to the breast (or another teething toy he likes). Even with foremilk/hindmilk issues, I think I'd be inclined to give him which ever breast he will take. Sometimes babies don't nurse as much when they are teething, but they are still okay and pick back up after those teeth come in. Is he getting any longer nursing sessions during the day or night?

I'll try your recommendations today and see if they help. He always eats very well at night, and has been getting up 2-3 times a night to eat, where he used to only get up once. I guess he's making up for his short daytime feedings.

Thanks!

Okay, frozen washcloth didn't work. I still have a screaming baby. When he pulled off 1 minute after my letdown, I tried the washcloth again. He then tried to eat and would take 1 suck, pull off and scream, take a suck, pull off and scream, etc.

I don't know what to do.

Lightbulb Re: Short feedings, big burps, grumpy baby

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this. I just changed my baby's poop diaper and it was green and mucusy with a bit of blood. (You had to look really closely to see the blood.) This happened a few weeks ago, when I was switching my LO from side to side quickly, because he kept pulling off and wouldn't eat. However, yesterday and today I have been careful not to do this.

I'm wondering if I could have oversupply. In the early months, this http://http://www.breastfeed-essenti...omuchmilk.html sounded just like us, but he didn't have green stools and I don't think I have OALD. My LO went from 5 1/2 pounds at birth to over 10 pounds at 2 months. I thought it was because we were over-supplementing him. He had a poor latch (I had asymmetrical nipples after he came off, though never any pain) and I was also convinced that I wasn't making enough milk and was pumping quite a bit in addition to bfing. I took fenugreek for at least 2 months.

Two months ago, I rented a baby scale which showed my LO wasn't getting quite enough milk, so I continued to pump and supplement with BM. (Though one night feeding showed he got 4 ounces and I was still able to pump 3 more ounces as soon as I finished feeding him.)

His latch has improved now and I only supplement 2-3 ounces in the evenings. I have been concerned he's not getting enough, as he only gained 13 ounces last month. I just finished a bottle of More Milk Plus just in case. I also started pumping for 5 minutes after 3-4 nursing sessions each day.

Given all this info, could it be possible that I have oversupply? Could that be why he's pulling off and crying after 3 minutes of eating? How will I know for sure if this is my problem? I plan to see a LC next week, but I'm soooo tired of hearing my baby cry when I try to feed him.
    Last edited by @llli*andy; October 5th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Are you eating anything new or anything in large quantity lately? Hope the LC has some ideas for you.

No, and I cut out orange juice and dairy. It wasn't either of those.