Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping w/ questions

Default New to pumping w/ questions

I have exclusively BF my Lo for 9 1/2 months and have for the past two days started pumping. My day is like this, he wakes at around 6:00 am for first feeding of the day and he's BF (I'd like to keep this nursing time). I then pump at around 8 am and have been getting a total of 5 to 6 oz. (one breast produces more than the other). I then go on to pump at 12 again, 4 and will start to pump at 8 pm as well (I'm trying to decide whether to keep this a nursing session as well ).

I get about 5 oz total from ea. session. Here r my questions:

1 - how much should he be eating total? I've been giving him 3 5oz bottles and then the two nursing sessions, but since I don't know how much he's getting when he nurses, I don't know if he's now getting enough milk throughout the day.

2 - is what I pump indicative of what he is/was getting at the breast?

3 - how much long should I be pumping for? I usually do around 10 mins. he usually nursed for 5-7 mins on one side only...on a good day, he'd nurse an additional 3 mins on the second side.

This is so confusing to me - any and all input is so appreciated.

Default Re: New to pumping w/ questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gordis.mommy View Post

1 - how much should he be eating total? I've been giving him 3 5oz bottles and then the two nursing sessions, but since I don't know how much he's getting when he nurses, I don't know if he's now getting enough milk throughout the day.

3 - how much long should I be pumping for? I usually do around 10 mins. he usually nursed for 5-7 mins on one side only...on a good day, he'd nurse an additional 3 mins on the second side.

Hi mama!

Here are some thoughts.

1: Is he on solids yet?

2: No. Sometimes not even close.

3: I usually pump for 20 mins each side or 5 mins past the time I see the last few drops. Pumping is way different than feeding. Takes more time to get more milk.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have exclusively BF my Lo for 9 1/2 months and have for the past two days started pumping. My day is like this, he wakes at around 6:00 am for first feeding of the day and he's BF (I'd like to keep this nursing time). I then pump at around 8 am and have been getting a total of 5 to 6 oz. (one breast produces more than the other). I then go on to pump at 12 again, 4 and will start to pump at 8 pm as well (I'm trying to decide whether to keep this a nursing session as well ).

I get about 5 oz total from ea. session. Here r my questions:

Hi! Question: Why are you pumping? Are you away from LO?

1. Generally LOs will drink 1-2 oz per hour they are away from you (I think) at that age do you offer water at snack as well? How are hos solids?

2. The pump is NOT an indicator of what he's getting at the breast. Baby is a way more efficient pump. That said, As long as he's not acting hungry and is taking a bottle of EBM at the times he would normally be nursing plus whatever solids and other liquids he takes, I wouldn't be worried.

3. I pump for 10-15 minutes, but I judge by how much I get out, how many let downs I have and I pump for about 2 minutes after I don't get anything anymore. Does that make sense?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm pumping b/c for the past month we've been dealing with teeth (he now has 4 up top and 2 bottom) and it's not that he bites, but his latch is horrible not that he has teeth and it is excrutiatingly painful, especially when he comes off.
    Interestingly, I have found that I'm pumping less and less now and that worries me...I've only been doing this for two days. I'm a SAHM, so I'm with him all day.
    Solids - he has oatmeal w/ BM in the morning, chicken/beef and veggie for lunch and dinner. eats some snacks throughout the day, but not a lot of water or juice...he kinda isn't into it yet.

My goal was to BF for a year, b/c I HATE formula and love the bonding/nutritional value of BFing. I thought this might make it easier for when we transition to whole milk at a year.

What should I do to pump more milk? Should I just pump longer? How long will it take to build my supply up?

Our LO is on solids now too and he takes about 20-25 oz of BM each day. I am sure that amount varies a lot though.

to increase supply you can try to pump a little extra, or do a power pump (which I have just started doing and has worked really well for me) or herbal galactagogues.

And for how long...it all depends on your body.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

what is power-pumping?

what is power-pumping?
    Sorry! 10 mins on 10 mins off for one hour.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel