Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A couple of questions...

Default A couple of questions...

My son is eleven weeks old and up until this point I have only pumped for an occasional bottle here and there. I would like to start pumping on a regular basis so that I have a supply in the freezer in case I need it for date night and things like that. Anyways...I fed my son around 9:45 PM and I did a pumping session around 11:45 PM. I pumped for twenty minutes I only got a little over one ounce from each breast. Is this a normal amount to get? It seems a bit low to me, but I don't know if this is something that will gradually increase over time. Also, my son has been consistently sleeping through the night for the past couple of weeks. Should I set my alarm clock and pump again in a few hours or is that likely to cause overproduction?

Default Re: A couple of questions...

breastfeeding is supply and demand. The more you breastfeed and pump- the more milk youll make. If you only want to pump in case you go out somewhere, could you maybe just pump the day before you go out? Then it wouldnt have an impact on your supply like now. You say your LO is 11w and your supply is still in the starting stages. If you trully want to pump as well as breastfeed then your body will adjust and youll pump more with each time you pump as your sessions increase. The amount you got sounds great!

Also when you pump-- stop pumping when the milk stops flowing, dont pay attention to the clock. what kind of pump do you have btw? a double electric or hospital grade is great for regular pumping but for once in awhile/going out pumping, a manual or medela electric is fine.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!