Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Feeding Question

Default Block Feeding Question

My son is 13 weeks this week. I think that I have an oversupply. My son often chokes and coughs when he is feeding and I am always full and engorged, especially at night. About 4 weeks ago my son started to sleep 6-7 hours at night and this has left me engorged in the middle of the night and with plugged ducts every other day. For three weeks now I have been feeding the baby on only on breast per feeding. He feeds around every three hours so each breast is being fed on every 6 hours or so. I also started taking Lechithin this week. This new way of feeding seems to be helping during the day but at night each breast is going 8-9 hours since the baby sleeps longer. Do I need to make my blocks longer during the day so each breast is going 9 hours during the day between feedings (each breast used for two feedings before switching) or is this something I just have to give more time and it will level itself out? I still don't feel as though my supply and demand has kicked in, will this happen at some point so I feel less full all the time?

Default Re: Block Feeding Question

how long has baby been sleeping 8-9 hours at night? if it's only been a short while (less than 2 weeks) I would be inclined to wait it out another week. Eventually, your body will start producing less at night if your baby isn't nursing at night
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

It has been 4 weeks since he has been sleeping 5-7 hours. I will give it another few weeks to see if the lechithin works and if the supply goes down. Since it seems to be working during the day maybe it will work at night. How "empty" is normal to feel during the day? I always feel very full about an hour or so before he is ready to eat. I am so sick of feeling so full all the time and I am really sick of plugged ducts. They are making me feel like throwing in the towel with breast feeding and I really want to try and nurse my son for at least one year, but I am so miserable with the plugged ducts and it is really hurting my emotional state always dealing with plugged ducts or being worried about getting plugged ducts. It is to the point where I don't even sleep well at night because I am so worried about getting plugged. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it get easier at some point? The lc I have been talking to don't even know what to tell me anymore.

Hang in there mama

I did some extreme block feeding in the beginning, and my supply went way down - but it scared me so I'm hesitant to recommend it. I wouldn't want you do lose your supply, but you do know your body best. Perhaps you could try longer blocks for a few days and see if you notice a difference? It seems (to me anyway) that 4 weeks worth of sleeping through the night should have somewhat regulated your supply by now.

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Today for the first time I felt a little softer so that is why I want to give it a little more time. How did you extreme block? Did it cause you to have any blocked ducts?

I was dealing with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance as well as oversupply and overactive letdown. I tried block feeding but thought it wasn't working and decided to increase my blocks. I went too long on each side (nearly a full day per side ) and then had to nurse like crazy to bring my supply back up. I would NOT recommend that for anyone. If I had my time back, I think I would have gradually increased my blocks, a little more every couple of days. I had some red streaking but kept an eye on it and didn't end up with any blocked ducts.

The problem with block feeding is that it is different for everyone - so what works for one person might not work for another. Currently I am still technically block feeding my 6 month old. He only takes one breast per feeding. It's working well for us.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

I guess I will stick with the one side per feeding for now and hope that it evens out at night on its own. The problem with going up slowly is really my son eats pretty consistently every 3 hours, so the slowest I can move up would be from 6 hours to 9 hours. If this doesn't work in another 2 weeks I will try that I guess. I'm just really afraid of more plugged ducts.

I hate suggesting this...but could you wake up for 15 min just to pump enough to reduce discomfort? I had to do this.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Have you considered using cabbage leaves at night? Cabbage leaves can help reduce swelling and engorgement. Take a green cabbage leaf, crumple it (to break the veins), open it and then put in on your breast inside your bra. When it no longer feels soothing (an hour or two), remove it and put on another if you'd like. You can experiment with this to see whether it helps with your nighttime discomfort. Be careful, though, because overuse of cabbage leaves can really reduce your supply.

Just a thought...
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I have tried using cabbage leaves during the day with no results, but I only tried it a little. I can't do it at night since I can't sleep with a bra or I get a plugged duct. Pumping, any amount of pumping only makes the problem worse. I don't know what is going on, I would think that by now I would have reduced supply a little, but I am still very full after 6 hours. I know that for most people supply dies down a little between 6 and 12 weeks, is it possible that I can just continue to produce so much extra milk all year? I'll try the cabbage leaves.