Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DROWNING in breastmilk!!!

Exclamation DROWNING in breastmilk!!!

Help!

My daughter is 4 days shy of a month, and we already have OVER 500 ounces frozen, on top of what she eats....

My original plan was to breastfeed exclusively, and we were - for literally hours at time. Though my output was good, Hazel started showing signs of dehydration. A nurse at the hospital finally realzed that she has an incredibly high palatte. Coupled with a short tounge and a shallow suck - bad latch, to say the least....

So they sent us home, told me I'd just have to pump until she was big enough to 'master her palatte' .

But it's gotten out of control!!

I'll start with the numbers. With my one lil Medella electric handheld,
    I pump approximately
    7 to 12 oz from EACH BREAST
    4 to 6 times a day.

We've already been through 5 packages of storage bags, 25 bags in each, each with 6 to 9 ozs. That's how I came up with the 500+ number.

I do make a point to put her to the breast daily - she may not get enough to sustain herself, but it's still important to me to have that time with her.

From what I've read, most pumpers struggle with too little milk, and while it may seem like I'm bragging about my flagrant over-production, it actually comes with a whole set of it's own unique problems....

Fore/hind milk issues
    If she eats 3oz every four hours, but I'm pumping no less than 7 per boob, it'll be forever before she's able to nurse past the foremilk to the good stuff -
    I guess I could pump off the first couple ounces, and then put her on for the hind milk, but then what I pump is no good to keep, right? I don't want to freeze a bag of foremilk with no hindmilk to balance it out....do I?
    And what IS the balance?
    Is it exact?
    Would it be 4oz of foremilk to 4oz of hind?
    How do you tell?

I'm hesitant to let it dry up, however. Even partially. It seems selfish. Though engorgement is extremely painful, and my nipples get very sore from pumping so long - it takes up to an hour to pump them both empty [is that normal?].

When I go back to work in December, I'll never be allowed to spend an hour out of my 8hr shift just pumping. I have to be fully stocked by then.

But I don't know what formula to use to find out how much is enough - how many ozs per feeding as she gets older....

I'm sorry that this post is so rambling and scattered. It's my first one. Tried to edit it some. I just have so many questions....

I'm glad for any advice anyone is able to muster from the jumbled mess above....

Default Re: DROWNING in breastmilk!!!

Well your supply is going to change after a while. Our LO was in the hospital for the first month and I pumped all the time. Then after he came home too. I had hundreds and hundreds of oz. in the freezer. The second I went back to work things changed a lot. We went through all of that in the freezer and then some.

And why won't you be able to pump?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You sound like you are in the same situation I was in at the beginning. It seems you have caused yourself an oversupply. Pumping for an hour each session is probably making it worse.

I EP as well, and I was pumping 65-70 ounces a day, way more than I needed. My son is a year, and I am FINALLY now just starting to draw down. I pump 55-60 ounces a day now, but I'm cutting back further in the coming weeks.

What is your goal for pumping? Do you see yourself doing this for awhile? If you do, it might be good to scale back a tad on the milk production. I know when I used to sleep for 6-8 hours at a time I would end up in pain when I woke up. That was not pleasant. And blocked ducts aren't fun either.

Foremilk and hindmilk really isn't a black and white thing. The milk gradually gets fattier as your breasts empty. If you try to GRADUALLY scale back on how long you are pumping at each session, and pump less at each session, you will pump less foremilk and get to the hindmilk quicker.

You are right that most EPers or working moms who have to pump struggle with supply at least a little bit. However, I think there are those of us who do respond to the pump well. Oversupply isn't completely uncommon with EPers.

If you end up with a lot, you can always donate it. I donated 6600 ounces. I feel that at least I made the best out of a potentially unmanageable situation.

Please PM me if you have any questions. I think I might actually understand what you are going through.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post

I EP as well, and I was pumping 65-70 ounces a day, way more than I needed. My son is a year, and I am FINALLY now just starting to draw down. I pump 55-60 ounces a day now, but I'm cutting back further in the coming weeks.
    I SO have milk envy on you!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?