Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedi says I should think about supplementing

Question Pedi says I should think about supplementing

So I have posted a couple times on here about my son not sleeping much at night and waking to nurse every 1-2 hours (he is 9 1/2 mos old). Well I took him in to the pediatrician (not my regular pedi by the way) the other day b/c he has his first cold. He had went from 17lbs 12oz to 17lbs 2 oz within about a 2.5 week period. She said with him waking so often at night that my milk supply is probably low and that most moms supply decreases at this time. I told her I really didnt want to supplement. She said "It's not so bad. My kids are all happy and healthy and I had to supplement." Well, I will if I have to but I would really prefer to just keep him on breastmilk. I had been feeding him solids for breakfast and supper, but since talking with her I have added lunch in also. I am worried b/c I dont want him to not be gaining enough. He is already on the small side....but up until this point my regular pedi had said she was not worried b/c he has been steadily gaining along the same path. He is in about the 15th percentile for weight on the regular scale (he was one month early.) Also, when I pump I get maybe 2 oz at a time. But I dont pump very often. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Should I supplement???

Default Re: Pedi says I should think about supplementing

My DS1 weighed 17lbs at a year! I think your babe is doing fine on your milk mama! Losing a little weight when your LO's sick is totally normal. I don't think you should supplement.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I agree with PP, him being sick could have caused that weight loss. I personally would not supplement. If you are concerned about weight gain, keep nursing!!! You could try adding some high fat foods into his diet like avocado? Worth a shot.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Yeah, I wouldn't do it either. Sounds like this ped is not very breastfeeding-friendly.

I have no idea why she'd say that your supply would decrease because of night-waking? And probably the reason "most moms"'s supply decreases around this time is that they stop nursing, not the other way around!

sounds like shes almost saying it b/c she feels bad for doing it kwim? like she just wants you to get on board b/c she did it.

like.. "it wouldnt hurt"

i've never heard of a dr comparing a patient to their own LOs weird to me.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Was it the same scale? If it wasn't, that could make a difference. Also, it could make a few ounces of difference depending what kind of pooping schedule he was on that day, or if it was a different time of day. How are his diapers? I would say if he's wetting and soiling enough diapers it's not necessary to supplement. He's not much smaller than my son at that age. My son is 20.5lbs at a year.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

When my DS had a cold (at around 5 mo), he lost over 12 oz.; the doc said it was probably mostly dehydration. When it comes to the small scales, though, they're not all that perfect. At DS's last checkup, he kept kicking and the reading fluctated from 17lbs 4 oz to 19 lbs 2 oz. Finally they picked a middle number and went with it, so he is "officially" 18 lbs 3 oz. It probably would've been a few ounces more if he hadn't had a monster poop right before the weighing.

For the record, 10-1/2mo DS still wakes up every 90 minutes or so during the night to nurse, with one 3-hour stretch in the middle. (So glad we're cosleeping, so I can doze through it!) Apparently I did the same thing until I was about 17mo, and other moms in my local LLL have or had the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it - you're feeding your LO the best stuff there is, custom-made to his current caloric needs. Glad this isn't your regular ped, because she sounds anti-nursing.

Go with your gut; you know what is right for you!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks guys! I can always count on the people on this board to reinforce my gut feelings. I dont know why I always doubt myself. I am also blessed to have a supportive husband who said, screw what the doctor said, our son is happy and healthy! My mom, on the other hand, always says he's so little and he needs to gain weight (but she didnt want me to breastfeed in the first place). It was the same scale by the way, but he did have a lot of poops that day come to think of it. Thanks again!

Your gut feeling is very important. If you are concerned, I would suggest talking to your regular pedi who is more familiar with your child. Adding lunch will probably help as well as recovering from the cold. You know what to do, trust your mommy instinct. Hope your LO feels better soon.
    2001 2004 2008