Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if i work part time..

Default if i work part time..

if i go back to work part time and work about a 6 hour shift, would it be okay to not pump for that 6 hours??

i may go back to work and i cant really pump at starbucks.
    and i dont have tinted windows on my car

ps i admire all you mamas that work and breastfeed!!!!
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: if i work part time..

By law they would really have to let you pump wouldn't they?

And I am sure Jenna will be along shortly to advise how to pump in your car!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

maybe a blanket over my chest

well im sure they wouldnt mind if i pump, but theres not a private room..

unless i pumped in the bathroom, but then id take up the bathroom for like 20 min.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    if i go back to work part time and work about a 6 hour shift, would it be okay to not pump for that 6 hours??

i may go back to work and i cant really pump at starbucks.
    and i dont have tinted windows on my car

ps i admire all you mamas that work and breastfeed!!!!
    If your baby needs to be drinking breastmilk during those 6 hours, then you'd need to be pumping during those 6 hours, unless your baby was older, and you could pump at other times enough to make up the difference, AND you didn't mind the discrepancy between the bottles of breastmilk she'd be getting during the times you were normally at work and not pumping and the times when you were with her for those 6 hours and breastfeeding directly. Essentially, not breastfeeding or pumping could lower your supply during that time period, but raise it when she was at the breast during that time period.

If she were a bit older I'd say you'd probably be fine, but I would recommend you try to pump during that time for another couple of months if only to keep your supply up. Esp if you include the travel time in addition to work time.

Oh I just noticed the PP. That's another idea- to pump at other times to build your supply during those times and allow your supply to decrease during work hours. I think that might not work so well if you don't have a set schedule, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

about pumping in the car, some tips for making privacy where you have none...

windshield sun deflector thingy

baby blanket rolled up in side windows

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Oh I just noticed the PP. That's another idea- to pump at other times to build your supply during those times and allow your supply to decrease during work hours. I think that might not work so well if you don't have a set schedule, though.
    That's a VERY good point.

I used to work at Starbucks so I know what you mean about no privacy. You could get a hooter hider or some other nursing cover to give you some privacy no matter where you pumped.

And given Sbucks policies on BFing I'm sure they would allow to pump even if it when over your allotted break time. I would talk to HR to get all the official rules before you even broached it with you manager just to cover your bases. I bet they'd work with you more then you'd think.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I really would pump in the car...thanks Hillary!!!

I do it everyday!!! (Well I also drive whilepumping, but that's a different thread!

Anyway, I sit in the drivers seat, park as usual, plug the PISA into the cigerette holder, and most importantly use a Hooter Hider, then you are totally covered and no one will be the wiser, trust me!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

good idea!!!! thanks mamas!

im prob gonna call my manager today and try to go back.

since my stinkin DH wont put effort into finding a job. he thinks one will just land in his lap i guess.