Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will Once A Day Keep Doc Away?

Question Will Once A Day Keep Doc Away?

My LO is only about 8 mo. I am down to nursing four times a day, with two bottles of formula and one of EBM. I am going to stay like this for a while, I am wondering for all of you past one nursers, when I get down to once a day, will the health benefits still be strong? Right now LO has never been sick, even when I and dh have been.

I seem to remember seeing a quote that the health benefits in the milk might actually be stronger after twelve months?

Any of you past one nursers notice your kids just don't catch things, even with very few nursings?

If so I would nurse at least once a day for past twelve months. Just wanted an opinion?
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Default Re: Will Once A Day Keep Doc Away?

Is your LO in daycare? My DD is in daycare and she catches all the colds anyone else there has and then I catch it (haha). Though, I will say I had strep throat when she turned 1 and she never got it. She was down to 3 nursings then. She is almost 19 months now and gets it at bedtime, on weekends for her nap, and some evenings when I get home from work if she asks. Hope that helps!
    First time mommy to Emily - 3/5/07
    Second time mommy to Landon - 9/21/10

I've noticed that my son might pick up whatever bug is going around our playgroup, but he never seems to get as sick or stay sick for as long as the kids that aren't nursing.

I've always heard that any amount of nursing helps and it certainly can't hurt! It might be tough, though, to limit your little one to once a day. My son seems to only be getting more insistent and more stubborn the older he gets.

I am a SAHM, I work two days a week at our church, and he goes with me.
    He gets passed around at church a lot. My SIL owns a daycare, and MIL works there. SIL's two sons go there, and are always sick - RSV, bac. pneumonia, strep, gastric stuff. They have like 100 kids there. So SIL and MIL also pick up a lot of stuff, and LO sees them at least once a week. So, with flu season coming up, I just want to be vigilant. I am going to keep up the four nursings a day for quite a while. I have quite a lot of EBM. So far, LO has been really, really healthy.
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Breastfeeding won't completely prevent your baby fron getting sick, but your baby might get sick less often and recover faster than non breasfeeding baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*naw.pan View Post
    Breastfeeding won't completely prevent your baby fron getting sick, but your baby might get sick less often and recover faster than non breasfeeding baby.

BM contains antibodies to protect your baby, but I found that DS got sick more than other kids during the first year, which I put down to the fact that I didn't have the antibodies to protect him from the local germs and viruses, having just moved to the US west coast from the UK. I got sick a lot myself the first year I was here. Since he turned one, however, he's only very rarely been sick and if something's going around, he either avoids it or gets a much milder version. He's 25 months and only nurses once every two or three days, but if he's coming down with something, he usually wants to nurse more for a day or two before I see any signs that he's sick. I try to follow his cues.

I think a lot depends on your situation - if he's in childcare, how often you nurse, etc. But I think it is true that BM contains more concentrated amounts of antibodies and nutrients after the first year.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

In my experience, if your little one is around a ton of sick people, like at daycare, he/she will still get sick but like other posters said, he/she will fight it off better and quicker, without the need for a DR visit or antibiotics. I have even given my 3 year old pumped BM, and seen a fever break within a day. Some powerful stuff in there. So yes, it is probably worth nursing once a day to pass antibodies.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

My DD never got sick (except the occasional 'little' cold) until a month ago (11 months). She got double ear infections and two days after antibiotics got a stomach virus and then a cold that still isn't gone (two weeks strong). I think a lot of it is because she can walk now and walks to people and kids at church etc. She's also is with a new babysitter that has two children. Oh and DH and I are teachers...probably bringing home all the nasty bugs.

Breastmilk helps, but not always.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.