Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping with difficult access to a sink

Default Pumping with difficult access to a sink

Where I pump at work, there is not easy access to a sink. The nearest restroom is a long walk away, and sometimes it is hard enough to find time to pump 3 times during a busy day.

What if I skip rinsing the shields and valves after I pump? Can I just use a paper towel to dry out the part I can reach, and then knock out as much milk from the valves as I can?

I've had to do this a few times in other situations and my baby has not gotten sick. Is this a really bad thing to do regularly? I wash all the pieces of my pump every day when I get home from work.

What do you all think?

Default Re: Pumping with difficult access to a sink

BM is "good" at room temp for up to 10 hours.

I don't rinse my pump- just stick it in the fridge with my milk in between sessions. I wash with hot, soapy water at night.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

medela has quick-clean wipes. i tried them but i found they sloshed the leftover milk droplets all over and left a residue so i don't use them. now i do what mim described above

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ak411 View Post
    BM is "good" at room temp for up to 10 hours.

I don't rinse my pump- just stick it in the fridge with my milk in between sessions. I wash with hot, soapy water at night.
    I used to wash them between every pump session, now I do when I get home.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't have time to take the pieces apart & wash after pumping sessions, so I bring clean paper towels & wipe off the outside, then stick them in the cooler with my milk. BM keeps at room temp for 10-12 hours, so any bits that make it into the bottles are fine. Then I wash in hot soapy water when I get home.

I think it's actually more hygienic than washing it in a bathroom sink, anyway.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

i don't even put mine in the fridge or cooler....i just put the parts in my pump bag annd wash when i get home w/ hot soapy water...
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I have the same issue. I was told that you don't have to take the shields apart after every use - medela makes wipes you can use to clean the parts between feedings, but I too have found that they leave a filmy residue and I have sensitive skin and have started breaking out a bit even though I let the shields dry before I use them. What I've started doing is grabbing a couple paper towels, dry & wet, and using them to clean up after I pump. I too put the horns/shields in my bag when I get done pumping since the cooler I use won't fit them and I don't have a private fridge to use. When I get home, I sterilize the parts or wash with warm/soapy water. So far I haven't had any problems.
    Last edited by @llli*flchic17; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I think it's actually more hygienic than washing it in a bathroom sink, anyway.
    Good point!

And thanks, ladies, this helps so much!!

Seems like you got some great advice and I was only coming to offer more of the same. I would use a paper towel and wipe out what I could and then store it back in my bag. Also, I always kept a bag of those medela wipes just in case I was in a bind and paper towels ran out or something.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."