Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can oversupply cause reflux? Should I treat both?

Default Can oversupply cause reflux? Should I treat both?

About a month ago I took my LO to the pediatrician because of his misery. He was almost always screaming in pain, and nothing we could do would soothe him. The ped thought he had reflux, but I was reluctant to start giving a 3 week old reflux meds when I suspected that maybe I had an oversupply problem which can present as reflux.
    I went to an LC and yes I have a tremendous oversupply problem. We have to fix this problem for over a month, but with little to no improvement (12 hour block feeding, different positions, sudafed, sage tea). The last thing left is birth control which I am very reluctant to go on.
    Now I think on top of the oversupply my boy probably really does have reflux, which could be aggravated by the excess milk in his system.
    My question or plea is to others who have dealt with these issues together. How did you know your baby had reflux? My son does not have the typical signs: he's doubled his birth weight and doesn't spit up much.
    What meds did you use?
    When your oversupply calmed down did your child's reflux?

I am really debating weaning because I can't get the OS under control and if it's contributing to my baby's non-stop pain, I can't see continuing.
    Please help

Default Re: Can oversupply cause reflux? Should I treat both?

my lo gained weight really fast (which is a sign of silent reflux) and right now he is taking zantac (since he was about 2 months-ish). I found that the overactive letdown (OALD) was more of a problem than oversupply. I did block feeding to help the oversupply, but I use to unlatch him when I felt the letdown start, spray the forceful milk (also foremilk which was a bonus because we were also dealing with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance) and then relatch when the flow slowed down. I tried nursing him in an upright position (him practically in a sitting/standing position) or on top of me to keep the flow slower.

Have you met with an LLL leader in your area?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

With reflux I noticed my DD vomitting several hours after eating, swallowing what looked like clear liquid (not milk) and then screaming in pain. She doesn't always throw up/spit up on herself. A lot of times she will swallow it back down.

With the oversupply...I did notice that she spit up a lot. But she didn't usually ever seem to be in pain. Especially first thing in the morning, when I am really full, she will literally eat so much and so fast, that she'll almost always throw up. In the afternoon, when my supply is naturally lower, she will not spit up as much. Once I block fed, she was happier to nurse. Same as my DS. He wasn't in pain from my oversupply...his issue was seeming agitated a lot.

DD is on prevacid right now. I am also eliminating dairy right now because of some suspect diapers. She seems to be happier already.

Good luck. You CAN get through this without weaning, mama!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thank you for sharing.
    Was your baby miserable all the time? My son is only happy when he's sleeping, or at the beginning of our feeding sessions. Otherwise, he is miserable. I feel so bad for him, and his misery is making us miserable.
    I think my LC is pretty good; how can I tell if she is a LL?

you can find a local lll leader/group in your area by clicking "finding local support" on the top left side of this page. LC's are great but I know that hear in my area, the local LLL leader is the person who actually trains the hospital LC's - so it may be another person who can give you some great advice/support.

About him being miserable . . . silent reflux is hard on the child. The acid burns the esophagus on the way up, and then on the way down as well. There are many medications out there, so you could always ask your health care provider to prescribe something mild to start to see if there is an improvement. Medication (such as zantac) will neutralize the stomach acid, and even if he still refluxes it wont burn his esophagus lining. Acid reflux can do damage to the esophagus if it's bad - and with silent reflux it's hard to tell just how often he is refluxing, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet