Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing schedule/habits after one year?

Default nursing schedule/habits after one year?

My dd is turning a year old in 10 days & I'm just wondering how some of you transitioned from bm being the main source of nutrition to needing more solids. Did your little ones just change their habits and you followed their lead or did you change your nursing habits/schedules so they didn't fill up on bm and not eat their solids. I currently nurse on demand about 7x a day and she eats solids 3x a day, but most of what she eats is at dinner. I'm not trying to wean, just want to make sure she gets what she needs nutritionally as her needs change. Also, want to make sure I have lots of info before her 1 year check in case I have questions for her pedi.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: nursing schedule/habits after one year?

My youngest was 13 months old yesterday. She mostly determines when she nurses. I serve her 3 meals a day with the family. So her day works out like this: between 7 and 8am wakes up and nurses. Eats breakfast, usually a waffle with butter or a piece of toast with butter. Seeks me out to nurse around 10 or 11am. Lunch with family at noon, today she ate 1/2 a crepe stuffed with ham and neufchatel cheese and 3/4 crepe stuffed with neufchatel and strawberries(it is St Terese day, DD#2's patron saint so we were eating French food), then sought me out around 1:30 and nursed to sleep for her nap. She usually wakes around 4-5 and nurses again, then dinner, maybe french bread, chicken and vegetables tonight, then nurses once more between dinner and bedtime between 9 and 10pm. I usually initiate the nursing at bedtime when I see she is tired. Then she sleeps until morning. So that is 6 nursings in 24 hours. She usually eats about a 1/2 cup of solid food at each meal but sometimes more if she especially likes it. With my other kids I have never had to direct thier eating more solids and less nursing, it has sort of happened gradually and they matured.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

My DD is 14mos. She gets 3 meals a day plus an afternoon snack, although oftentimes she grazes in the a.m. and kinda picks at food several times from breakfast to lunch. She nurses when she awakes in the a.m., gets one sippy of EBM at daycare before her nap (using up my freezer stash, I've pump weaned), nurses when she gets home, before bed, and once or twice at night. The last few days it's just been one night waking (horray!) so she's nursed 4x's and one sippy of BM. She has access to a sippy of water throughout the day and gets cow's milk at daycare with her meals and snack. I've really just let her lead the way when we are together at night and on weekends. Some weekend days she's more into nursing than others. And at meals, I offer food until she's full and proclaims "all done."
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    My dd is turning a year old in 10 days & I'm just wondering how some of you transitioned from bm being the main source of nutrition to needing more solids. Did your little ones just change their habits and you followed their lead or did you change your nursing habits/schedules so they didn't fill up on bm and not eat their solids. I currently nurse on demand about 7x a day and she eats solids 3x a day, but most of what she eats is at dinner. I'm not trying to wean, just want to make sure she gets what she needs nutritionally as her needs change. Also, want to make sure I have lots of info before her 1 year check in case I have questions for her pedi.
    Where are still making that transition at 16 months. Just follow her lead. My dd has gone from 6-8 nursings a day at 12m to about 4-5 times a day at 16 months. Around a year I taughter her a word for nursing ( num nums) so she can ask if she wants it or if she gets really clingy or sucks her thumb alot I offer. I offer 3 meals and 2+ snacks a day and still nurse on demand. If your lo likes solids she will naturally drop sessions as she eats more food .. if she is a big time nurser and a picky eater( like mine) it may take a bit longer. Just follow her lead and offer meals and snacks.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Mine's 13 months old now (yikes!) and has pretty much cut herself down to 2-3 nursing sessions a day - just before bed and once overnight and sometimes in the morning when she gets up, depending on what time the night nursing was. She started cutting back on her own... I think we were at 5-6 times in 24 hrs at about 11 months and she's just continued to cut back. I think the before bed session will stick around for a while (I hope!) I'm hoping to get her to sleep all night without waking to nurse soon, but I don't know how! Ideas??

Good luck!!

I think the most remarkable thing for me when my daughter turned one was how completely uneventful it was. Not that it wasn't a huge emotional day for me, but from her body's perspective it was just the next day like any other next day. There was no sudden, "I think I should eat more solids now that I've had my first bit of birthday cake!" So I just kept doing what I had been doing, which was nursing at her will and offering her good, nutritious food at mealtimes and letting her eat as much as she would, and the amount really wasn't dramatically different. She is now 2 years old, extremely healthy, and gets most of her calories from solids, although we still nurse. I'm not sure exactly when the transition happened, but it had to do with my body eventually saying, "I cannot sustain this increasing level of calorie output" at some point combined with an increasing appetite for solids on hers - I think for us this really kicked into gear around 15 months. But, again, it was all so gradual, and I know that in some countries breast milk constitutes the primary calorie source in babies up to the age of 2.

My 14 month old nurses 6-8 times per day in addition to 3 meals and 2 snacks. She's a piglet. She was nursing less at the one year mark, but then she learned to ask for it....with words and I cannot tell her no.

Picture this little thing saying, "NURSH?"
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

So cute!! My DD gives me these very serious eyes as she signs it.

DD turned a year old a couple weeks ago. Basically I've started limiting her to nursing 4 times during the day (basically four to five hours apart) and I give her breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two or three snacks. I try not to worry too much about how much she eats at every meal b/c I know I'm offering food and nursing enough.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

For me and my 14 month old son, it changes from day to day. If we are very busy and out of the house most of the day, he'll only nurse three or four times and get the majority of his calories from solids. If he's tired and we're having a lazy sort of day, he'll nurse, oh I don't know, maybe ten times during the day and not eat as many solids. I think one of the advantages of continuing to nurse is that you have that flexibility, at least for a while.

I think you have the right idea with following your child's lead.

We just followed DS's lead. It seemed that he made big jumps in the amount of solids he ate at different times. I don't remember exactly when it was, but I started feeding him breakfast when he started signing for it. There wasn't a noticiable decrease in nursing until probably 15-16 months for us.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.