Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left side is going to pop!

Default Left side is going to pop!

So as of yesterday when I noticed my tank top was pulling to one side, I realized that I was getting really lopsided. My left side was bigger than the right. Think basketball vs. volleyball.

So you would think "producing more from that side" right?

Wrong. It is producing LESS...well or maybe just not emptying...

As most of you know, Nolie isn't nursing and I am EP'ing so putting him to breast isn't an option right now.

Any tips on getting it to empty before I explode? I have already tried a back massager, warm compresses, hand massage, already taking fennel to help with letdown....I am out of ideas!

TIA!

ETA: I don't think I am plugged at all because I have no pain...
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; October 1st, 2008 at 11:52 AM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: Left side is going to pop!

what type of pump are you using? Sometimes the parts need to be replaced. Are you using manual or electric?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    what type of pump are you using? Sometimes the parts need to be replaced. Are you using manual or electric?
    I have a brand spankin' new Medela Lactina Select. I actually replaced valves and membranes just a couple weeks ago but last night I went out and got MORE just to make sure. Today it is even bigger! When I massage during pumping it feels very firm on the left, while the right will get soft after a bit. I am at a loss!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Do you start on that side first? Are you pumping longer on that side? I would pump on the other side first then move to that side then pump for exactly the same amount of time.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

hmmm, I'm not that experienced with pumping, but would using a larger flange help? Perhaps because your breast is bigger you may need a larger flange to properly empty it And when it goes back down you could switch back to your normal flange.

hopefully some more experienced pumpers will be able to offer more suggestions.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Do you start on that side first? Are you pumping longer on that side? I would pump on the other side first then move to that side then pump for exactly the same amount of time.
    I generally just start with both. Maybe I will try that next session and see how it does!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I generally just start with both. Maybe I will try that next session and see how it does!
    I remember having that problem when I was pumping so I started on the side that was not having the issue (seems like it wasn't emptying) to have one boob signal to the other boob that they're up next. It usually triggered a letdown in the other one so I was then able to empty it a little and not have it be so hard. It could work. I hope this makes sense.

"Don't toush da mango"

I would get plugged ducts all the time (on my "slow flow" side) if I went too long w/o pumping.
    So, what I do during EVERY pumping session is compression.

I pump for about 15 minutes total. For the last 5 minutes I compress. I make my hands into a C-shape with the thumb at the top and I just go around my breast like a clock. I don't push too hard. I kinda squeeze and hold it, and do that until there's no milk, then I move to the next spot.

I would only get plugs in one part of my breast, so I always make sure to check that (squish it around in my hand) before I'm done to make sure it's not starting to plug up.

It's a pain in the butt to try to have both flanges going, and have a hand on each breast trying to do the compression. You kinda have to rest the bottles on your legs and then slouch forward to make sure everything is held in place. But, as long as I'm doing the compressions I don't have plugged ducts...

HTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*incognito View Post
    I would get plugged ducts all the time (on my "slow flow" side) if I went too long w/o pumping.
    So, what I do during EVERY pumping session is compression.

I pump for about 15 minutes total. For the last 5 minutes I compress. I make my hands into a C-shape with the thumb at the top and I just go around my breast like a clock. I don't push too hard. I kinda squeeze and hold it, and do that until there's no milk, then I move to the next spot.

I would only get plugs in one part of my breast, so I always make sure to check that (squish it around in my hand) before I'm done to make sure it's not starting to plug up.

It's a pain in the butt to try to have both flanges going, and have a hand on each breast trying to do the compression. You kinda have to rest the bottles on your legs and then slouch forward to make sure everything is held in place. But, as long as I'm doing the compressions I don't have plugged ducts...

HTH!!!

"Don't toush da mango"

[QUOTE=@llI remember having that problem when I was pumping so I started on the side that was not having the issue (seems like it wasn't emptying) to have one boob signal to the other boob that they're up next. It usually triggered a letdown in the other one so I was then able to empty it a little and not have it be so hard. [/QUOTE]

Ok...I tried it. It is still ginormous! I'll try it again next session too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel