Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela vs Lansinoh?

Default Medela vs Lansinoh?

My son is two and a half months old. We bought a Lansinoh Double Electric breast pump shortly before he was born and I have been using that for the occasional bottle, but he primarily is breastfed. I have tried to start pumping more just to see what it's like and also to try to increase my milk supply, but I don't get too much whenever I try. I was wondering if it could possibly be the breast pump. The Lansinoh pump was significantly cheaper than the Medela pump and I was curious to see if anyone has used both and which one they prefer. I'm thinking about renting a Medela pump from the hospital for a couple of weeks to see how I like it before we buy one of our own, but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Medela vs Lansinoh?

I too bought the Lansinohl pump, ended up renting a hospital grade and eventually bought the Medela PIS.

If you have access to a hospital that will let you pump there on one fo their pumps, go try and you will see such a difference!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thank you so much for your response, Kelly! I just spoke with the lactation department at the hospital where I delivered my son and they said that I could come try their pumps whenever I felt like it. The lactation consultant brought one of the Medela pumps in our room after I had my son, but I never got the chance to use it. I did, however, come home with tons of Medela accessories, so at least I've got that covered if I do decide to purchase one. The hospital is a bit of a drive from my house, but I hope to get up there by tomorrow or Friday to test it out. Thanks again!

I'm curious to see if you notice a difference. I've been using a lansinoh double electric for 3 months now. I'm able to get what my son eats the next day but I hardly ever get enough to build a up a freezer supply. Occassionly I can put a bottle in the freezer if my son didn't eat it while with grandma...
    due 5/31/2010 - born 3/31/2008

My Lansinoh pump works very well for me. I had an Ameda hospital grade pump that my LC loaned me and the Lansinoh one works just as well for me. I've never had a Medela though.

I was using a medela pis but it was stolen so I bought and started using a lansinoh pump. this is the same manufacturer as the ameda purely yours and is essentially the same pump at a lower cost. you can control for speed and suction, milk cannot back up into the tubing and it is a very light and portable pump. the milk not backing up into the tubing was a HUGE issue for me with the PIS as I had to go through 4 sets of tubing because of condensation that turned into mold in the tubing and behind the faceplate. Also, there was the milk that was lost being drawn into the tubing that was a huge bummer as well. I pumped 3 times a day at work and at least 2 times at home (often at 4am to ensure I could keep building up my freezer stash and send milk to daycare for my son) and this pump was very durable for me when I was working fulll time and getting my masters. No one pump is right for every mom but this one was great for me and my serious pumping needs.
    Last edited by @llli*gbird; October 2nd, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarification

Also consider the Medela Freestyle. Being able to pump handsfree while you move around to cook, do laundry, clean, read a book (yeah, right!), etc. is really great! You can get one for ~$285 online; if you like I'll dig through my inbox & see where I bought mine.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Just a quick update...I did try the Medela pump at the hospital. I liked it, but I think since I am only pumping on an "as needed" basis, I'm going to stick with my Lansinoh pump for the time being. If there ever comes a time when I need to pump more often, I think I would definitely invest in the Medela pump. Thanks again for all of your help ladies!