Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Benadryl while breastfeeding?

Default Benadryl while breastfeeding?

Oh dear. I really don't want to wake up my pediatrician or OBGYN, but I've got a concern about taking Benadryl while breastfeeding. My little one just got done nursing and I've got such bad allergies I can't stand it, so I took 2 tsp of Children's Benadryl. Not thinking right, I looked it up online and all I see is it's not reccomended. Do you think it's safe?

Default Re: Benadryl while breastfeeding?

More than likely, you and your LO are just fine with this!
    Keep in mind a few things.... most sources will err on the side of legal safety by saying that things are not considered safe for a BF mom. For some things, that is indeed true! For others, it's a cover-the-company's-bum kind of thing as well as a "we don't test on nursing mums so we have no data" kind of thing.

That said....benadryl - in the correct dose - is considered to be one of the safest meds you can give a baby. We actually needed to give our DS some at just over 3 months old - the ped prescribed it. What your baby will get through your milk is a much smaller dose and while you could possibly see some side-effects - perhaps more drowsy, perhaps hyper (3% of babies/children get hyper from the active ingredient in benadryl), there is no real problem here. What *you* might see - some women report this - is a slight drop in milk supply. Anything that can help dry up the goo in your sinuses can do similiar to your milk! I have taken benadryl while BF with no troubles, though haven't in a long time, not since I started back on claritin (see below).

Just fyi, I have been advised by both my son's pediatrician and two IBCLCs that claritin (or whatever generic you can find; Costco sells a bottle with a couple hundred pills for a really good price!) is totally safe while BF. I've heard the same about zyrtec (which I took before getting pregnant), but I know less about how valid that claim is.

My suggestion....relax....rinse your sinuses with some saline and try to get some rest! Talk with your doc or your LO's doc in the morning to put your fears behind you.

take care,
    -linda
    Last edited by jsmom; August 10th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

I have taken it, the only problem I see, is that it decreases my supply, because it "dries" you up, it dries up that too...so dont take to much!

heres a good link
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...medy.html#meds

Treat only the symptoms you have: avoid a combination medicine when a single one will do the job.
    Short-acting forms of drugs (6 hours or less) are generally better than the long-acting varieties (but see the info below on the nonsedating antihistamines).
    Use nasal spray instead of oral medications when possible (see below).
    Take any medication right AFTER you nurse and only as needed.
    The 2004 edition of Medications and Mothers' Milk by Thomas Hale, PhD has information on many cold medications (including specific guidance on combination products) in the Appendix (p. 874-889). Many of the active ingredients in cold and allergy medications are listed below.

Mom's use of Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients. Monitor your infant for possible drowsiness if you use an antihistamine. The non-sedating antihistamines (below) are generally preferred and are less likely to sedate baby.

The ingredients of Claritin, Claritin-D, Allegra, Allegra-D, Actifed (the decongestant pseudoephedrine plus triprolidine) and Seldane have been approved by the AAP for use by nursing moms. Loratadine (Claritin) has been studied and the amount of loratadine that passes into breastmilk is extremely low. Claritin-D and Allegra-D have pseudoephedrine added (which is AAP approved, but see above about possible effect on milk supply). Dr. Hale has said that he prefers the nonsedating antihistamines (even though they are long-acting) over the sedating allergy medications

Default Thank you!

I just wanted to say thanks for your responses. We made it through the night, and LO was a bit more hungry than usual and wanted to nurse all through it. I'm just happy there's others we can talk to about things like this! Thanks again ladies!

Default Re: Thank you!

I did a search to find this thread. Thanks for responding to the OP because I am going crazy and I didn't even have to type a new post up! I will try the other recomendations before trying benadryl.

Okay - just incase anyone else searches this issue I am adding the link to Dr Thomas Hales website (a non LL page but great info)... it seems I keep finding medication questions lately - He is the leader in breasfeeding pharmacology!. - this website is a wealth of information regarding breasfeeding and medications - of all kinds!!

Dr. Hale's BF & meds entry page
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

on antihistamines:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1158343458

On benadryl specifically:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1153927789

HTH & GL!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

That was good! Thanks for the additional information!

Breast Feeding Summary
    Diphenhydramine is excreted into human breast milk, but levels have not been reported (15). Although the levels are not thought to be sufficiently high to affect the infant after therapeutic doses, the manufacturer considers the drug contraindicated in nursing mothers (1). The reason given for this is the increased sensitivity of newborn or premature infants to antihistamines.

References
    Product information. Benadryl. Parke-Davis, 1997.

I personally found my 4 month old had trouble sleeping when I took benadryl(25mg/5hrs). She is normally a solid sleeper for 12 hours with 2 eyes-closed sleepy feedings in between. But while I was on benadryl, she was waking up, fully awake every 2 to 3 hours. I also noticed the back of the box says "may cause excitability in children". From what I understand sleepiness is more common but our experience was excitability.